Sponsored by:

Auto primary chain tensioner??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Default Auto primary chain tensioner??

How often does this auto chain tensioner take up slack?
I use Harley Formula+ oil in the primary and it does work well and is quiet except for once in a while I hear some noise from the primary. I'm thinking it's at a point right before the tensioner takes up slack, then all goes back to quiet.
The Harley Formula+ seams to work with the Rushmore compensator, do you think Red Line is worth a try, or Amsoil since I've used both of those products but not in the primary.
I'm old so we need to re-visit this conversation.

Mike

Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

When I did the 5K service I used Formula+, what the dealer used when he did the 1K service. Read some threads on here about how much quieter the primary was with Red Line so at about 7K I switched to R/L (at about $18 a quart). Seemed better (quieter, easier shifting, less clunk) for about 500 miles then seemed to get noisy again, noisier then with the Formula+. At about 9K miles I switched back to F+ and all is relatively quiet again. I'll be sticking with that from here on in. And as to the tensioner taking up adjustment, I don't think the chain would stretch that much and that often that it would really matter. I may be wrong but it's a chain, not a rubber belt...

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 10-02-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:54 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
When I did the 5K service I used Formula+, what the dealer used when he did the 1K service. Read some threads on here about how much quieter the primary was with Red Line so at about 7K I switched to R/L (at about $18 a quart). Seemed better (quieter, easier shifting, less clunk) for about 500 miles then seemed to get noisy again, noisier then with the Formula+. At about 9K miles I switched back to F+ and all is relatively quiet again. I'll be sticking with that from here on in. And as to the tensioner taking up adjustment, I don't think the chain would stretch that much and that often that it would really matter. I may be wrong but it's a chain, not a rubber belt...
Good points. One click of the adjuster should keep it for a long while the way I baby this thing. I've only heard "something" a couple of times this season, it might not even be the primary, but I also worry about the bearings down there.
I'll keep using the Formula+, it's been working fine.