2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony XAV-AX7000 announced - (XAV-AX5000 upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 06:49 AM
inkdemon
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by EGS
the Fathead 7000 setup has a second set of speakers wires that are pre wired to the main harley harness, independent from the upper speakers. There is a HD connection prewired behind the main fairing with a factory plug-in. The pigtail is a factory wiring harness that plugs into the main HD harness and can power your lowers or saddlebag speakers.
ahhhhh cool. Thanks for explaining. Makes sense.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:12 AM
EGS
Cruiser
Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
For guys using the stock speakers and no amps, go to the advanced settings and choose 2ohm. The stock speakers are a 2ohm speaker.

As far as volume, the Sony (all head units) will begin to distort at upper volume levels. Typically the distortion starts above 75% of max. If max volume goes to 50, above 40 starts the danger zone. At 70mph you don't hear the distortion because of wind and ambient noise. Distortion is what kills speakers.

The more you know!!!
So... would a Stinger amp boost the sound of the fathead Sony speakers in the kit? Better than the head unit can do on its own? I’d like to hear it blare at 70 mph and not distort the speakers.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:05 AM
havinabubble
Road Captain
Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

again, thanks BlkDragon for the quick answers over in the Sony XAV-AX7000 MICROPHONE thread
I've just found THIS thread and its prob more relevant to post my questions here.

what did you have before the Boom 6.5GT or 4.3?
you seem pleased with this HU upgrade....anything you miss or would say it lacks in your opinion from before?

What map softwares do you use and why?
(I'm used to Google Maps, but want to use something that has waypoints in the future as the navs keep taking me down stupid, barely rideable roads)

Fat Head Cycles have some great videos up on how where and why, with their plug n play package
so I'm pretty much crossing off all the answers to questions I hit when I got my 2017 with 6.5GT and no bluetooth headset connectivity (since gone Freewire and 20S EVO)

Originally Posted by BlkDragon
so is your phone USB to the Sony, and you have carplay/android auto active? Yes.
as you mention moving, are you on handsfree (via the phone) as the ambient noise is a problem? No, I meant if you are using Sony to answer the phone......through 20S is great. I have loud exhaust and ambient wind noise I can't hear through Sony very well and forget about speaking through Sony mic while riding :-(

Great news that the headset works for calls, I take it your contact name shows up on the screen when they call/you dial out, even though you are talking through the headset? Correct.

(sorry for the barrage of questions but you have a working setup and I'm hoping to pick up a Sony HU when in Daytona) Not at all and you are welcome with any questions I can answer.
Glad to answer any question that I can so no worries.....just ask, if I can't answer someone will from this Forum.

BlkDragonr reply in RED

Originally Posted by havinabubble
thanks for that...

so is your phone USB to the Sony, and you have carplay/android auto active?
as you mention moving, are you on handsfree (via the phone) as the ambient noise is a problem?

Great news that the headset works for calls, I take it your contact name shows up on the screen when they call/you dial out, even though you are talking through the headset?

(sorry for the barrage of questions but you have a working setup and I'm hoping to pick up a Sony HU when in Daytona)

How is your phone attached to Sony? Phone to Sony works with phone calls (unless you are not moving works fine, too much ambient noise otherwise), navigation & music.
Is your 20S BT to your Phone or to the Sony? Phone, you can't BT from Sony to Sena.

and do you get just calls to the headset, or can you get turn by turn and audio? Both.

reading that you can't get the later....which threw up the question of can i even use a headset with the Sony HU to make and receive calls? Sony is a receiver and not transmitter so only one way.

BlkDragonr reply in RED

Originally Posted by havinabubble

Hey BlkDragon, can I trouble you with a question...
Looking to upgrade to the Sony XAV-AX7000, and have a 20S EVO headset and Freewire with Boom 6.5GT currently

How is your phone attached to Sony?
Is your 20S BT to your Phone or to the Sony?

and do you get just calls to the headset, or can you get turn by turn and audio?

reading that you can't get the later....which threw up the question of can i even use a headset with the Sony HU to make and receive calls?

TIA

Last edited by havinabubble; 02-19-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:18 AM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, Bluetooth will allowed connectivity to your audio/phone/navigation, USB cable will allowed smartphone to connect to navigation and display on Sony head unit.
You are partially correct.
A headset CANNOT be connected to the AX7000 via bluetooth.
If you connect a phone via USB, it disables the bluetooth connections.
Any audio that originates from HU will ONLY be heard from speakers.
Audio that originates from phone (like NAV from Google Maps) can be heard on a device connected via bluetooth to the phone,.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:53 AM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

One thing I see that we lose that no one is mentioning is the wireless capability I have the EVO 20s and if I can't pair to the HU for sound that originates there, I don't think it's good. Yes, I can get rid of the WHIM and the HD Boom!.
Connecting to my phone with a headset works just fine. I do that all the time with my HD Branded EVO's or a regular bluetooth ear piece. Want I want to do is connect to the head unit, the AX7000, so anything that originates there can be heard in the headset. For example, if I put my SiriusXM receiver on the AX7000, I'll only hear that through the speakers, not a headset. Same with FM or USB connected thumb drive for music.
Here's how I think it would be set it up:
EVO 20s connected to Phone via bluetooth for calls or media streaming alternative
EVO 20s connected to passenger / other bikers EVO 20s for intercom
Phone Connected to HU via bluetooth -OR- via USB for android Auto. AX5000/7000 can't be connected via blue tooth and USB at the same time.
What would be missing:
all display info from stock HD Boom! - oil pressure, EITMS, temp (not a big loss)
CD interaction (I do use my CB for group rides with bikes that have it and no other comms, like a SENA)
Bike Intercom - not a big deal really. EVO direct intercom is better IMO.
Inability to connect a headset to AX5000/7000 for off head unit output.
What would be gained:
Android Auto full functionality via USB
Google Maps easy of navigation (with HU display via AA)
XM radio on the cheap ($40 for receiver instead of $400 for HD receiver) and this on has the high bandwidth receiver as well to support live traffic and weather alerts!
Anything else you can think off??

Last edited by striper.seeker; 02-19-2020 at 12:48 PM.