2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Cracked Rear Fender....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:58 PM
alittlejohn60615
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cracked Rear Fender....

Less than 10 days with my 2019 Deluxe and already had an accident. Some ahole clipped my rear fender and now I need to get her fixed. Not really pissed because I could literally be dead or badly injured. For ever the optimist.

My deductible is $1000 and I really don’t want to file a claim anyway. My FLDE is Scorched Orange and I hear the color is hard to match?

Aby ideas? Is it possible to buy a OEM fender already painted? Should I jut go to an auto body shop and get quotes. Getting a moded fender is an option too just curious to know what are my options.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:06 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Whatever you do is a good chance it’ll be more than the deductible unless a body shop can save your existing fender and paint. You can buy a factory replacement with paint match but it’s not cheap. You can go aftermarket, but you’ll need custom fit and paint...again not cheap to do well, and might not match. If you are ever going to trade/sell it...factory replacement is likely the best way to go. Are you 100% sure only the fender was damaged?

Last edited by Thingfish; 06-23-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:21 PM
alittlejohn60615
6th Gear

99.9% sure it’s only fender damage. I wasn’t knocked off the bike or even jolted. I’m assuming if there was more bike contact I would have ended up on the ground. I was going like 5 Mph and he had to be going 30+. He swirved ( or would have hit me square in the back) and grazed the fender. Lights not damaged and nothing else visible.

Are you thinking file file a claim and have the bike completely inspected?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:43 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

It’s a mixed bag. These new fenders are very thin and weak..easy to deform, so I can imagine that’s all the damage, but I’m just guessing from far away. If it can be bent back into shape and paint wasn’t ruined...and it rides 100% normal...maybe a body guy can get you right for cheap. Next choice is if they can salvage the fender, but need to repaint...tough call they can match it. Might be close to your deductible now. Full factory fix means buying s new fender and having the factory paint it...not sure the price but probably $1,500 on the cheap side? Worth a call to the dealer for price. Downside to insurance is accident on vin and your rate might go up. But getting a proper inspection and replacement might be peace of mind for a few bucks, especially if they catch any other issues. Not it a lot of clearance there...tire ok?

I bent my rear fender on a high curb backing up....barely touched it, its almost like tinfoil. No paint damage, so I was able to bend it back with zero consequences or visual defect. Depends how bad the damage is.

One other option, as you mentioned, is begin going down a more custom road which is all good if you think this bike is a keeper.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:43 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

If he clipped you and is at fault why isn't his insurance covering the damage?

The following 2 users liked this post by FLS103:
blap (09-07-2019), Uncle G. (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 295 Posts

Good question on the claim being paid by his insurance, that would make it a no brainer to let a dealer do full inspection and install a new factory painted matching fender plus anything else incidental.
Otherwise, this is very old news but I managed to dent the front fender on my RK back in 2007. At that time I ordered a brand new replacement fender with proper factory paint and it was around $425 at that time. It was easy to install myself. A rear fender will be a little tougher to manage, especially without scratching it I imagine.
Good Luck getting it fixed!

Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

If I were you I would file the claim. My insurance got my deductible from the other party's insurance when I got hit. But just to give you some insight, I got hit from behind last November while going about 45-50 mph and it looked to be only fender, rear tire and light damage.

The shop inspected the bike while tearing it down and the frame was bent where the fender struts connect to the frame. It was twisted and the right hand side looking at it from the rear was sitting about 1.5" lower than the left side. Had to replace the entire frame.

This was without going down as well. Just the hit from the car caused all of the damage. I would have it inspected for sure just to be on the safe side. Good luck and glad you weren't injured or worse.

This is with the new fender struts and fender on the original frame after the accident.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 AM
alittlejohn60615
6th Gear

Thanks for all the feedback. The person that hit me never stopped. So using his insurance isn’t an option. I think I will lean towards saving the fender (at least initially). During that process I will have the bike inspected and chart my course from there.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by alittlejohn60615
Thanks for all the feedback. The person that hit me never stopped. So using his insurance isn’t an option. I think I will lean towards saving the fender (at least initially). During that process I will have the bike inspected and chart my course from there.
Sorry I assumed he had stopped. Pretty sad that he had no concern about the possibility of having injured you and didn't care to stop and make sure he hadn't. Hopefully it's only the fender. Most likely will be if you weren't even jolted or anything like that when he clipped your fender as you described.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Some states, insurance will waive deductibles on hit and run. Usually Uninsured motorist would cover it, but not in Illinois. Hopefully you filed a report. Call your insurance company and talk it over.

Quick Reply: Cracked Rear Fender....