Low Rider ST Short wind deflector (screen) review

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 09:30 PM
Cootey
Road Captain
Received 247 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Low Rider ST Short wind deflector (screen) review

G'day everyone,

I know screens are a discussion point for a lot of people on the FXLRST, so I am going to do a thread on this screen based on my experience and opinions. Last week I installed the 57400503 wind deflector from Harley Davidson. I chose this one as I have noted in the past, taller is often not better. I like the look and the concept was to have good body and chest protection and put the helmet into clean air.

First impressions, fit and finish:

It is definitely better than some big-name aftermarket brands. it sits nicely on the bodywork, and the colour actually matches the OEM wheel colour. It looks pretty cool. If or when I put some tall alloy risers on, you'll see them and definitely get quite a distinct look of bike.

Riding:

Around town, you can feel a lot of fresh air on the helmet, and the top of the shoulders. the chest and body aren't hit by air at all, so it is definitely a better screen for hot weather.

On the highway I found quite a lot of protection on the body and chest, and upper legs. The fairing is very well designed, and the benefits of the fairing on those parts remains. From the ribs up to the neck, you are hit with diffused air and from the neck up you are in clean air. You can't run around with the helmet open as much as you can with the stock screen (on the highway), which shows me that the screen is allowing a lot of air through. This is consistent with what I had planned on, and wanted, and as such it will be staying on for the summer. when the winter commutes come in May through to August, I will likely try a tall screen like a Puig touring.

Summary:

In comparison, the OEM screen created a bit of wind roar (but no buffetting) in certain situations and with crosswinds I found it sometimes noisy and created a little bit of buffetting. I also tried a clip-on deflector and it cut all the wind out to my helmet, was much better for wind deflection and noise, but created massive noise and buffetting to the wife. This screen gives me exactly what I wanted- full, clean air on the face and the fairing doing what I need it to do, keeping the wind pressure off the body for a relaxed riding position on the highway. Wife is happy also- no wind, or helmet slap for her either.

As an added bonus, I feel it is a more involved ride, with much better line of sight up the road and involvement.

The rider:

I am 5'10", or 179cm, with average inseam and build. I wear a HD Capstone II modular helmet (120th anniversary colours!!) which is a direct relation to the HJC i90. HJC visors and Bluetooth fit into it also. Wife wears a HD Maywood 3/4 "jet" helmet with is also a HJC helmet I ride with a denim jacket and a few choices of gloves. My wife is 5'9", average size (what else can I say out loud?!?!) and we sit on a Harley Sundowner seat, which has had a gel insert fitted under the OEM cover. Stock suspension, with me on board I have it set to 3 as I carry a lot of crap with me to work and back each day. Stock bars, with 2" risers. Arlen Ness Micro mirrors (OEM Mirrors are a HUGE source of buffetting to the passenger)

The following 2 users liked this post by Cootey:
NZLowrider (11-29-2023), tclhb (11-13-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 09:31 PM
Cootey
Road Captain

Screens for me have to be one of two locations, either tall enough to completely push air over the helmet, or low enough to allow totally clean air onto the helmet. anything in between is only going to generate buffetting, or wind noise (two different things). Buffetting is the physical movement of the helmet or heard by oscillating wind forces - commonly called "Helmet Slap" also. This is created by airflow hitting the helmet that is collapsing behind the screen, even minutely, and that creates the oscillating feel. Wind noise or wind roar, is created by windscreens (or helmets) that have a poor surface flow of air, and the air hits the helmet disturbed, and as such creates a much higher wind noise than as if you were sitting on your bike in clean air. On most faired bikes, if you stand up, you will get above the fairing or screen and the wind roar is completely eliminated, replaced with only the whoosh of airflow.

On a motorcycle, the air hits the front of the bike and actually rises slightly from all the FEA I have ever seen, and as such you can go pretty low and still get some protection- something you cannot do with a batwing. We had an Ultra Limited for a short period of time and the buffetting on that thing was unbearable, especially for her. I tried many screens.

Enough of the aerodynamics lesson. I like to discuss this as a lot of people think differently when it comes to airflow and wind noise and with that you can see where I am coming from.

The following users liked this post:
tngarren (11-29-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 12:34 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,699 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Cootey
Screens for me have to be one of two locations, either tall enough to completely push air over the helmet, or low enough to allow totally clean air onto the helmet. anything in between is only going to generate buffetting, or wind noise (two different things). Buffetting is the physical movement of the helmet or heard by oscillating wind forces - commonly called "Helmet Slap" also. This is created by airflow hitting the helmet that is collapsing behind the screen, even minutely, and that creates the oscillating feel. Wind noise or wind roar, is created by windscreens (or helmets) that have a poor surface flow of air, and the air hits the helmet disturbed, and as such creates a much higher wind noise than as if you were sitting on your bike in clean air. On most faired bikes, if you stand up, you will get above the fairing or screen and the wind roar is completely eliminated, replaced with only the whoosh of airflow.

On a motorcycle, the air hits the front of the bike and actually rises slightly from all the FEA I have ever seen, and as such you can go pretty low and still get some protection- something you cannot do with a batwing. We had an Ultra Limited for a short period of time and the buffetting on that thing was unbearable, especially for her. I tried many screens.

Enough of the aerodynamics lesson. I like to discuss this as a lot of people think differently when it comes to airflow and wind noise and with that you can see where I am coming from.
@Cootey Sums this up as well as I've ever read.
"Wind Roar" and "Buffeting" are two different things (often confused) and definitely effects each riders differently. I have ear plugs for "wind roar", but still chasing solutions for "buffeting". Over on the Adventure Bike forums we say "Go barn door or nothing, everything else is a compromise to some degree".

In my garage I have:
Stock - not great
HD 10" - Worst of all
Clearview Med - Okish for roar, but not tall enough buffeting
Klockwerks 10" - Decent for roar but not buffeting

The bike has KW for now and I will be trying a Clearview Large or Extra large for longer trips

(I'm 5'8" with 28" inseams and wear a Shoei GT Air II helmet)

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 11-13-2023 at 12:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
Redlegvzv (11-15-2023), tclhb (11-15-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 05:56 PM
Cootey
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
@Cootey Sums this up as well as I've ever read.
"Wind Roar" and "Buffeting" are two different things (often confused) and definitely effects each riders differently. I have ear plugs for "wind roar", but still chasing solutions for "buffeting". Over on the Adventure Bike forums we say "Go barn door or nothing, everything else is a compromise to some degree".

In my garage I have:
Stock - not great
HD 10" - Worst of all
Clearview Med - Okish for roar, but not tall enough buffeting
Klockwerks 10" - Decent for roar but not buffeting

The bike has KW for now and I will be trying a Clearview Large or Extra large for longer trips

(I'm 5'8" with 28" inseams and wear a Shoei GT Air II helmet)

Thanks man. I'm Chris_GS on Advrider.com. I've got over 200,000k on ADV bikes, mostly GS but one KTM (loved it!). I agree, it's barn door or nothing.

I think at 5'8" you should try this short deflector. If the stock was okayish, going lower might be your gig.

Puig also make a short one, and their tall screen has been unanimously voted the best tall screen. I've got both coming and I'll do some reviews.

But I love this screen. Should have done it a while ago.

tclhb (11-13-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 06:01 PM
Cootey
Road Captain

POV shot for you all, this is with stock height bars, not sure if I want to put the spacers back in or go higher with a different bar/ riser combo.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:20 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,699 Likes on 891 Posts

Thanks man. I'm Chris_GS on Advrider.com. I've got over 200,000k on ADV bikes, mostly GS but one KTM (loved it!). I agree, it's barn door or nothing.
I think at 5'8" you should try this short deflector. If the stock was okayish, going lower might be your gig.

Puig also make a short one, and their tall screen has been unanimously voted the best tall screen. I've got both coming and I'll do some reviews.
But I love this screen. Should have done it a while ago.
I may have to try lower. To be honest just not digging the look of the low shields though. I think if KW could come out with a 12-13" that would be perfect. I have a Puig on my KTM 1190 great product. I keep hoping Madstad to come up with something as I run that on my KTM 790 and they are also excellent.

Calif-790R over on ADV

This review of CV large vs KW 10" was pretty good.

Cootey (11-16-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 05:40 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 679 Likes on 374 Posts

This setup works well for me.

HD 10 inch for FXLRST.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redlegvzv:
Cootey (11-29-2023), NZLowrider (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 05:57 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Screens for me have to be one of two locations, either tall enough to completely push air over the helmet, or low enough to allow totally clean air onto the helmet. anything in between is only going to generate buffetting, or wind noise (two different things).
IMO exactly. I look through the screen on my RT and V-Strom for the excellent comfort. Just over the screen on my FXLRS for decent comfort. Other than that, no screen at all.

Cootey (11-29-2023)
Old 05-12-2024, 06:31 PM
Cootey
Road Captain

Bit of an update, I popped it back on today and I was reminded how much better the clean air is, though a bit cooler! If you live in "the north" or here in Australia "the south" you'll get cooler. but it keeps the wins off your body, legs and chest. you just get more wind on the head and neck.

I'd like to try a HD 10" screen, as it also has had the CFD treatment and is designed to work with the bike, hence why it curves back to the rider so much.