2018+ Softail Models Breakout

On a Softail now!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 11:26 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 493 Likes on 309 Posts

Welcome! Yeah, as many have already said here and in other threads, you are going to love it!

I am quite sure I would not have purchased a Heritage as my first bike or even my second. I am still fairly new to riding, but after a few years on a small Honda VLX cruiser and 6 more years on a Dyna, a few years ago I felt it was time for more comfort and saddlebags for long weekends and day trips of hundreds of miles. After my wife purchased her own 21 Heritage, I did a ton of research and purchased my own used 19 Heritage. Before everyone judges, yes they are basically the same bike, but we are going in very different directions cosmetically. See picture below.

For the record, I kept the Dyna and I thank myself every day for making that decision. The WG is is my day-tripper when I do not need to carry extra jackets or sweatshirts. It makes lots of noise and is the perfect old school ride. But nothing can beat the comfort of the late model Heritage. I do not need all the bells and whistles so I skipped the "Glides" I just do not need all that.

Speaking of cosmetic mods, the serious downside is finding matching foot controls, grips etc. That is a huge challenge. HD doesn't take their cosmetic parts lines for the Heritage seriously AT ALL. In fact it is downright insulting and poor. Unless you are ok with Willie G stuff. That is the only HD collection that has matching everything - grips, floorboard inserts, foot controls, even mirrors. But yeah, everyone has Willie G. Including my wife LOL

Taken a few years ago before the sissy bar, engine guard and seat upgrades. 02 WG in the front

The latest pic. Hard to see. Was taken a few weeks ago when it was cold and rainy outside. Her 21 is in the background

Taken a few years ago on a day trip. We've both done plenty of cosmetic mods since then. Her 21 is in the background

The following users liked this post:
Crazy (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:51 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,547 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Rabies
how is the ride and power compared to the dynas?

It's still at my buddy's place in Oklahoma. I should have it here by Tuesday and I'll let you know.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:12 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 401 Likes on 273 Posts

Congratulations I love mine and the 114 engine is great.
BTW would you mind sharing what kind of a great deal you got?
Thanks

Old 05-04-2024, 05:48 AM
Rokinrider
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Got treated well on a trade in for my 21 Challenger yesterday. Loving this Heritage, told the wife I would leave it stock🤣

The following 3 users liked this post by Rokinrider:
ACE_Moto88 (05-07-2024), Crazy (05-10-2024), talkingrock (05-05-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 10:04 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,547 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Rabies
how is the ride and power compared to the dynas?
The ride is way better than the dynas. The power is is also way better than my Superglide that is just a stage 1 96. I've done a little work on the Street Bob engine, and I have to say that the SB hits slightly harder at the bottom end than the 114 (the lighter weight of the bike certainly helps that as well) but the 114 has a lot more power at the top end. I'm really liking it so far.

Originally Posted by leftyjm
Congratulations I love mine and the 114 engine is great.
BTW would you mind sharing what kind of a great deal you got?
Thanks
$15.5K. Maybe not "great" depending on what part of the country you're in, who knows? That said, I've been watching ads here in Albuquerque since September, and it's way better than anything I've found here. Like I said, a 2022 with only 277 miles. It does have a tiny dent in the front fender. I'm happy with the deal.

I got the bike Tuesday, rode it around for 80 miles in the country near where my buddy lives, and then rode it home on Wednesday. 600 miles of HIGH winds the entire day. The electronic warning signs were putting up high wind alerts the whole way. The first 400 miles were crosswinds from the right side, and the last 200 were headwinds. I got 44 mpg in the crosswinds, and 36 in the headwinds. I can already tell that I'm going to enjoy traveling on this bike. It handles the wind much better than anything I've owned before. The windshield seems to be the correct height and configuration for me, a little buffeting but not too bad, especially considering the high wind. I know some people complain about the stock seat, but it works really well for me. When I was riding with the crosswind, I did 170 and 195 miles between gas stops. My rear end was getting a little tired, but not terrible. I know I can tour on this seat.

Cruise control is f'in GREAT! The brakes are really good too. I was concerned that the ABS would feel a little wonky, but that isn't the case.

I don't feel the need to do any work on this engine, it's got plenty of power and great driveability throughout the rev range. It does make a weird whirring sound, kind of like a George Jetson flying car. I'm going to get some kind of slip-ons for it, I'm not sure which ones at this point. Those American Custom mufflers that I've read about here on the forum seem interesting, the price is right, and I do like the look of the stock mufflers.

I tend to keep motorcycles 15 or more years, and I'm 65 now, so this may be my "forever" bike. I know I'll be changing out some cosmetic things, but I don't think I'll be doing any major mechanical mods.

Here's a pic from my ride around the country the day I picked it up. The home town of Willie Stargell for any MLB fans out there.

A couple of pics from when I was cleaning off the dead bugs the day after I got home. I already did my first mods after I took these haha. LED turn signals and a CD LED taillight. I forgot to mention that the previous owner had already installed a mustache bar, at least I think that's what they're called. I never liked the looks of them, but man, that's a comfortable place to put your feet on a long ride.

Last edited by Crazy; 05-10-2024 at 10:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Crazy:
Big Al 59 (05-10-2024), leftyjm (05-10-2024), snake_eyes (05-14-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 05:51 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 401 Likes on 273 Posts

That 114 engine is just fine as it is IMO also.
BTW that 15.5 number is a hell of a good deal, congratulations again and enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
Crazy (05-11-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 07:24 PM
Rufus13
Tourer
Received 302 Likes on 166 Posts

Way cool bike- Congrats!
I just wanna say "600 miles of HIGH winds the entire day." I'm impressed. That's hardcore. I would be in a wheel chair for a week.
Big ol boils on the south 40..
One thing's for sure, if it had any mechanical foibles you would know about them now. Great deal you made.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rufus13:
Crazy (05-11-2024), leftyjm (05-11-2024)