Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 05:07 PM
bowman78
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker question???

So I have a road glide custom that I finally decided to do some stereo upgrades to.. Installed a Jackson Bluetooth head unit and wheel controls and added a Rockford power tm400x2ad 2 ch amp... In hindsight I think the 4 channel may have been the way to go??? Anyhow the distributor I have been dealing with originally sent me Polk db651s speakers before I had nailed down which amp I was goin with.. Was going to try and run polks with the plug and play prime 2ch kit I already had.. The polks didn't fit the 6.75 adapters I got.. So the distidutor sent me some powerbass 6.5 's to try again before I nailed down my amp selection..
Well, fast forward I installed the Rockford power amp and ran it with the powerbass speakers.. I cautiously set the gain and eq gain adjustments and set the high pass filter on the amp to approx 75 hz.. Needless to say the amp killed the speakers on a 4 hr ride.. Burned out the tweeters.. So my question is what reasonably priced 6.5-6.75 coax or component speakers can/ should I get and should I add in 2 more 6.5 in the inner fairing??? Thanks for any advice!!!

Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

That amp has enough behind it to run 4 speakers in parallel.

What's your budget on speakers? Lots of good choices out there. Oh and those Polks wouldn't have stood a chance with that amp either!

Old 07-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by bowman78
So I have a road glide custom that I finally decided to do some stereo upgrades to.. Installed a Jackson Bluetooth head unit and wheel controls and added a Rockford power tm400x2ad 2 ch amp... In hindsight I think the 4 channel may have been the way to go??? Anyhow the distributor I have been dealing with originally sent me Polk db651s speakers before I had nailed down which amp I was goin with.. Was going to try and run polks with the plug and play prime 2ch kit I already had.. The polks didn't fit the 6.75 adapters I got.. So the distidutor sent me some powerbass 6.5 's to try again before I nailed down my amp selection..
Well, fast forward I installed the Rockford power amp and ran it with the powerbass speakers.. I cautiously set the gain and eq gain adjustments and set the high pass filter on the amp to approx 75 hz.. Needless to say the amp killed the speakers on a 4 hr ride.. Burned out the tweeters.. So my question is what reasonably priced 6.5-6.75 coax or component speakers can/ should I get and should I add in 2 more 6.5 in the inner fairing??? Thanks for any advice!!!
Bowman - That distributor is 0 for 2. I'd suggest letting him go his merry way. LOL!! You got a bad *** amp! Now all you need is some bad *** speakers to match your amp. Biketronics has some really nice value line 6.5 speakers you might want to try. But if your budget permits get the Titan II speakers from Biktronics. Talk to Bill. He will take care of you!