Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right Speaker Goes In/Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:47 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Right Speaker Goes In/Out

Did an speaker/amp(BT7P1.14/BT4180) install on my 15' ultra limited at the end of last year. Shortly after the riding season started, I noticed right speaker distortion and it would cut-out every so often. Sometimes it's fine, other times its not. I finally removed the outer fairing today to have a look. I figured I'd easily spot a loose connection, but there is nothing obvious (to me). I am a novice at best here and could use a little help. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to take a crack at this again until this coming weekend. Thanks.
Dave

Not sure if these pics help:

Old 08-07-2016, 05:05 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Check your RCA cables going into the amp. Has the same issue and the RCA cables were shorting against the amp chassis. With the fairing off and radio on, move the RCA ends at the amp and see if it happens. If it does then that's the issue.
I ended up pulling my RCA ends away just a hair and put a small dab of silicone between the RCA and amp. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS WITH THE RCA PLUGGED IN AND SLIGHTLY PULLED BACK TO MAKE SURE ITS NOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO SHORT ON THE AMP CHASIS.

If this doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you...

Old 08-07-2016, 07:42 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I had the same issue, it was a bad speaker. Biketronics warrantied a replacement.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Biketronics Inc
Former Sponsor
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi All,

We would like to suggest that no matter what equipment and what EQ you use, please find your "Max Volume." Finding Max Vol is easy and is accomplished on the jiffy stand with engine running. The idea is to keep your equipment running for as long as possible.

Regards,

-MM

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BTmaxVol.pdf (100.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 08-12-2016, 07:58 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Pictures won't open. To determine what is causing this problem, switch channels on the speakers? I see you're using a 4180, do you have 4 speakers hooked up? Do BOTH right cut out if you do? Or is it only the front right speaker? If it's the front only like your description sounds. Swap the wires, make the front right, the left on the radio. See if the problem moves to the left, or if it stays on the right. If it stays, it's speaker or Line Leveler. Swap the RCA's to see if it moves again, if it doesn't it's the speaker. I had a problem with the connection on the LL with the RCA's i got with the BT amp and speakers. I bought THESE RCA's they worked GREAT! More flexible, and gave me a much cleaner install. Let alone seated much better in the LL RCA Jacks.

Last edited by JimTJr; 08-12-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:10 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Hopefully these pics took, but not sure if they'll help anyway. At current, both right/left speakers are functioning 100 percent. I can't find any loose connections. With radio on , I gently moved the wires around to see if the front right speaker would go out on me...it didn't. (Just to clarify, I only changed the front speakers this past winter. I will likely do the rears in the future). Given that both speakers are working perfectly, I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Really make sure all RCAs are seated properly. I'm with JT regarding getting some reasonably priced higher quality RCAs.

Also make certain that your connections at the speakers are secure as those leads are not alway a snug fit. Snug them w a little luv from a set of pliers if needed.

Check gains and HPF setting on LL.

FYI, that zip tie around the RCAs on the LL connection may be putting additional side load stress on such connections. JMHO.

Also it looks like the white RCA going into the amp is not seated the same as the red. Really jam those suckers in there.

Pretty simple install so if u have physically touched every wire connection on the set up, it may very well be the speaker itself.

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 08-14-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Really make sure all RCAs are seated properly. I'm with JT regarding getting some reasonably priced higher quality RCAs.

Also make certain that your connections at the speakers are secure as those leads are not alway a snug fit. Snug them w a little luv from a set of pliers if needed.

Check gains and HPF setting on LL.

FYI, that zip tie around the RCAs on the LL connection may be putting additional side load stress on such connections. JMHO.

Also it looks like the white RCA going into the amp is not seated the same as the red. Really jam those suckers in there.

Pretty simple install so if u have physically touched every wire connection on the set up, it may very well be the speaker itself.

T.
Im not familiar w/ gains or HPF, but it looks like these are at default settings?

Old 08-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Yep. U are correct!! I would not mess with the HPF at all for now. The gains are default as well as the arrows point to the 12 o'clock position w the BT Logo on the sunny side aka facing up.
Those u can up to about 1:15 o'clock if u need more watts. Mine sit right at 1 o'clock but every speaker set up is different so read the tuning sticky for setting gains by ear and trust ur ears when the speaks even come close to distorting.

T.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:15 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

I put the fairing back on and a took a ride on the highway as well as back roads. I made sure to hit every bump and pothole that I could see and the stereo system was flawless I'm going to get the RCA cables that JimTjr recommended, just in case. When working well, this system is AWESOME. Just wish it were more consistent during my April cross country trip. Also, I was pleasantly surprised how easy the fairing re-installed today...took a very short amount of time(vs December!). I'm going to call Biketronics this week just to report everything that's gone down, just in case there is something wrong with the speaker. Thanks for all of the responses!