Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Electra Ultra BoomBox 6.5 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:13 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2014 Electra Ultra BoomBox 6.5 Issue

When the bike was new, I had a dealer flash the unit to turn the Aux 3 Stereo input "On".
I installed my XM Onyx Satellite Radio and wired the Left, Right & Shield to the appropriate connections on the Main Harness. It's been working fine since, 4 speaker stereo.

Recently, I noticed I have 4 speaker audio from the mp3 files on the USB, FM and AM, but NO Right Front speaker when listening to XM.
I talked with the local dealer's BoomBox "expert". He told me the problem has to be the connection from the XM to the Harness. I explained "The XM only has Left & Right and since I have Right Rear how can it be the right out of the XM"?
He really didn't understand what he was talking about and I "would have to pay the Digital Tech Diagnostic Fee before he could do anything for me".

Only 1 input doesn't have right front audio? That sounds to me like there's a problem inside the BoomBox itself, not any exterior wiring.
#1 Is the digi-tech sophisticated enough to check the internal audio switching inside the radio?

Anyone else experience this?
TIA & Ride Safe,

Old 05-25-2018, 03:58 PM
01XLH
Road Captain

ANSWER:
While out riding today, I stopped by Stinger H-D in Medina, Oh.
Explained the problem to the fella at the counter and he called over a service tech., they actually took an interest in the problem, agreed it wasn't wiring and asked me to pull around the back.
During our discussion they made a comment they had seen this same exact issue on a Road Glide with the 6.5 whenever the rider tried sending mp3's from his phone to the Boombox via Bluetooth.
They reloaded his SW & FW problem solved.

I had 1.21.01, the fella had a stick with 1.21.04. He uploaded the new SW & FW, shutdown, restarted and the right front speaker had Good Vibrations (literally the speaker "vibrated" and made music...The Beach Boys Good Vibrations.

Thanks to the Stinger Folks, you may be a lot farther away, but you get my vote.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
ANSWER:
While out riding today, I stopped by Stinger H-D in Medina, Oh.
Explained the problem to the fella at the counter and he called over a service tech., they actually took an interest in the problem, agreed it wasn't wiring and asked me to pull around the back.
During our discussion they made a comment they had seen this same exact issue on a Road Glide with the 6.5 whenever the rider tried sending mp3's from his phone to the Boombox via Bluetooth.
They reloaded his SW & FW problem solved.

I had 1.21.01, the fella had a stick with 1.21.04. He uploaded the new SW & FW, shutdown, restarted and the right front speaker had Good Vibrations (literally the speaker "vibrated" and made music...The Beach Boys Good Vibrations.

Thanks to the Stinger Folks, you may be a lot farther away, but you get my vote.
So basically it was a software glitch on the 1.21.01 causing the issue? Then when the newer software was loaded and the headunit reset was the cure?

Old 05-25-2018, 04:54 PM
01XLH
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Babyboy
So basically it was a software glitch on the 1.21.01 causing the issue? Then when the newer software was loaded and the headunit reset was the cure?
I hesitate to call it a glitch in 1.21.01. There was no "Reset", just turned the bike off and back on after30 seconds.
I've been on that version for quite awhile and the problem just started 2-3 weeks ago, so I'm not sure.
Now, I wished I'd have reloaded 1.21.01 here at home 1st and tried it. But it fixed so it's all good.