Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lids and Bags

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:23 AM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Lids and Bags

Giving serious thought to adding an American Hard Bag kit to my system... Got the RF cut your own lid kit - will the lid speakers & mid's in the bag cause SQ issues with the sound waves bouncing around in the same bag? Looking at the single 8" in each bag option Will 10's justify the loss of additional bag space. Anyone got some experience to share with their kits and speakers? What would be a good 8"or 10" speaker choice? Amp wise thinking I'll use my ARC Moto 600.4 to power bags and lids- feeding the amp with a DSR-1 signal.

An alternative thought is to bridge the ARC and swap out the RF lid speakers for some ARC Moto 692's ... no loss of bag space but would it be on the same level as a bag and lid rear set up?
Opinions and advice welcome...

Old 09-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by No U Glider
Giving serious thought to adding an American Hard Bag kit to my system... Got the RF cut your own lid kit - will the lid speakers & mid's in the bag cause SQ issues with the sound waves bouncing around in the same bag? Looking at the single 8" in each bag option Will 10's justify the loss of additional bag space. Anyone got some experience to share with their kits and speakers? What would be a good 8"or 10" speaker choice? Amp wise thinking I'll use my ARC Moto 600.4 to power bags and lids- feeding the amp with a DSR-1 signal.

An alternative thought is to bridge the ARC and swap out the RF lid speakers for some ARC Moto 692's ... no loss of bag space but would it be on the same level as a bag and lid rear set up?
Opinions and advice welcome...
U looking for static display sound or riding sound? The 8s u will loose pretty quick when rolling. If u go 10s ur prob gonna wanna ditch the lids, thus ur gonna loose that riding benefit pretty quick as well. U May feel it longer but u will be fairing only at some point up the speed dial.
If u want to tinker w 8s for the static display fill, no need for the AHB kit as u can make spacers yourself. Then drill a bunch of 3/8" holes in the side of the bag wall within the speaker template area.

It really just depends on ur goal and what ur willing to accept on the give and take scale throughout the riding speed envelope.

T

Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

8's and 6x9 in bag and lid no issues. You'll get very little to any benefit from the 8 while riding as T said, but for static purposes and Parkin lot pimpin, they're good and will provide some benefit. As far as 10's, they move so much damn air that any lid speaker will absolutely not be a good match unless the bag is sealed off from the lid properly. What I've found is I'm getting more benefit from my 8" lids. But in my opinion, if you're looking for all around sound, you'll go the voodoo 8.8 lid route. It's pricey, but it's a damn nice sound.

If you go the 8 route, hit me up for rings and some speakers to try. I have a lot of stuff hanging out in the garage. Since you're local to me, I'd be happy to offer up some test equipment. No matter what, you're gonna probably want to upgrade on an amp to push bags.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:50 AM
No U Glider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tailwind
U looking for static display sound or riding sound? The 8s u will loose pretty quick when rolling. If u go 10s ur prob gonna wanna ditch the lids, thus ur gonna loose that riding benefit pretty quick as well. U May feel it longer but u will be fairing only at some point up the speed dial.
If u want to tinker w 8s for the static display fill, no need for the AHB kit as u can make spacers yourself. Then drill a bunch of 3/8" holes in the side of the bag wall within the speaker template area.

It really just depends on ur goal and what ur willing to accept on the give and take scale throughout the riding speed envelope.

T
Thanks T
Most of my riding is under 70 mph... You know the disease brother.. It's apparent in your sig . I want it all! (without breaking the bank( added for the OL)

Old 09-03-2018, 09:55 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

You can do lids and 8’s all day with no issues. You can also use compression drivers or other types of speakers in the lids if you put 10’s in the bags but you do give up quite a bit of space. I think either set up is worth it if powered and tuned properly otherwise you are just throwing speakers at your problem without really planning out a solution that will give you the sound you are after.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by No U Glider
Thanks T
Most of my riding is under 70 mph... You know the disease brother.. It's apparent in your sig . I want it all! (without breaking the bank( added for the OL)
I think this disease is worse that crack brother!!!

Take ur time on the next move. Mainly to decide exactly what ur goal is and how u get there as there are several potential paths. As AD mentioned, if ur mainly a rider then save the cash for some 8" Voodoo lids. DSM just got a set and he will chime in on the bang for the buck. If ur just tinkering and looking for a project, build ur own brackets, put a micro under the hood, drill some patterned holes and drop in some 8s to verify the return.

Fun stuff brother!!!

T

Old 09-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,372 Likes on 2,979 Posts

T..... you're a mind reader too?

Just finished installing a set of the Voodoo lids and JL880's. At this point, I don't think you could get me to remove them with a gun in your hand. They are a good balance of pound, clarity and volume. Bag space is important to me, so this was a happy medium. You only lose a couple inches in bag height at the front only. I can hear them at 70mph, no problem. They will still lose a lil thump at speed, but not as bad as I expected.

I contemplated them for a while, after hearing them at the summer mng, I was sold!! They don't come cheap, but to me they were worth the cost of admission. The bang for the buck is the best I've had, at least so far!!

Old 09-03-2018, 02:51 PM
No U Glider
Road Warrior

Slowing the roll is solid advice... Bought a DSR-1 last night from a brother who PMed me and still haven't figured out how I'm going to mount it... A lot of folks seemed to be of the opinion that I should ditch the crossovers on my JL ZR's and run the speakers and tweets off separate outputs from the DSR-1 which would force me to move to a multi amp system....

I had the JL770's with SBD lids but believe I'm getting more punch off the RF kit or at least I'm trying to convince myself to justify the $$$ lost.

I realize the 880's play in different league than the 770's. In my novice opinion the 880's in the Voodoo lowers would give me the best of both worlds -parking lot pimping and pound clarity and volume at speed. I've never seen a set for sale here on the Forum Classifieds.. How many watts would you suggest to get the most out of the 880's? If I bridged my ARC Moto 600.4 , would I be getting the full potential of the 880's?

I have a clear goal just not sure how to fit it on the scooter! RIP Jerry..

Old 09-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,372 Likes on 2,979 Posts

I can't even imagine how good 880's would be in a set of lowers instead of lids. I'm currently running 175w to mine. They will take more, I just didn't have it to give them. Even if i did, I like them where I'm at. I think you get a lil more lows out of them

Old 09-03-2018, 04:39 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Will the 880s produce the same bass in the small enclosed lowers?

Quick Reply: Lids and Bags