Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Idea Scale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 07:10 PM
gunslingersnation
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bad Idea Scale?

On a scale of 1-10, how bad of idea is this mock-up? This is using 3 rows of 3M Industrial double sided tape.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 PM
IArider1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you prep the surface of where the tape is before you stuck them together?... Meaning wiped it down with alcohol. If so then Id say your good. If your concerned about the long term and would be able to do redo it, 3m actually sells an adhesive booster if you want to call it that. Makes whatever you stick to it solid.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

If you can get the hood on I give it a solid 9.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

looks to me like getting the hood on is what would matter the most at this point.
m

Old 05-03-2019, 06:54 AM
gunslingersnation
Tourer

Well, it was really just a mock-up, so I have no idea if the vent will fit. I'm waiting for my BT brackets to show up today, which will free up room and some more mounting options.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:47 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

I highly doubt that's going to fit. Also, not knocking you here, but some items you want to look at to make your setup reliable and more importantly, safe.

1. Stacking the amps may or may not be fine, but keep in mind that these are aluminum heatsinks that dissipate heat. If you do happen to stack them, the top amp will absorb the heat from the bottom amp, making things run warmer than need be.
2. I would look for some wire ferrules for the power and ground connections and heat shrink them on before connecting to amp. Again, I know this is just a mockup, but a stray wire causes problems.
3. The SS amp, not sure which model it is, appears to hang off the shelf really far. With the connections being towards the front, this may cause some bent wires which could turn into stray wires.

Certainly not trying to knock your ideas here, but I would guess if you're making the leap into the world of the $250 BT brackets, you're probably getting serious about the audio, I would look at upgrading the amps. That SS is huge and you could easily get a great amp at a reasonable price for your setup.

What are your plans for speaker locations and what sort of budget are you working with?

Andy

Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 AM
gunslingersnation
Tourer

So the SS amp was picked based on need, not price. I'm not a poor man, just looking for the right fit. I picked it for a few reasons. 1. It is much smaller than this pic makes it look, and is smaller than the hang over I had with my precious 2 amp setup. 2. I only needed to push front Mmats 6.5 and Mmats 8ohm horn tweeters with the amp, the B52 is for the VO6x9s in the bags. 3. This amp not only fits the RMS power needs, but has a bandpass filter that I can control the 6.5s from 150 hz to about 4500 khz, then a high pass filter for the horns, to start them at about 4000 khz (I'll have to find the actual freq response numbers to dial these in.). I could, and nearly did buy the SD 800.4 Evo, but it was more power than I needed, and it did not give me the control over the speaker frequency's. I love SD...I'm probably too in love with SD, according to my wife.

I guess all that was to say, I appreciate the constructive thoughts. I thought through this upgrade from the perspective of what I had, what I needed, and where I'll take it in the future. I kept the NVX VAD2 for when I add lowers, but I need to get everything working in baby steps. Most likely, that B52 will mount vertical on the side of a bracket, and the wires cleaned up a little.

It was raining outside, and here is a pic of my garage...not much room to work.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

No worries. Just talking over this constructively.
I doubt the B52 will fit in the clutch bracket. It takes a damn small amp to fit there like a JL MX, GZ micro, SD250, etc. You can look at mounting behind headlight if you have an LED light. That's how I have my dsp mounted now and somehow the fairing shuts. Bad Idea Scale?-photo457.jpg

Old 05-03-2019, 08:12 AM
gunslingersnation
Tourer

I do have the fuel Moto led kit, but I'm not sure of that's what you had in mind. I could mount it on its side, to the bracket upright on the break side. Im not sure if mounting to the speaker bracket is a good idea or not. I knew mounting on top of each other wouldn't work, but it looked so clean with everything off.

Now the hard part, getting this six damn screws out from behind the forks. Bloody knuckle time!

Old 05-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

For those getting any amp mounting ideas, that DSP mounted behind the headlight is being accomplished on an aftermarket HU.
And that SD1200 is the V1 and is an RCH smaller than the current version thus fits without having to flex the fairing shut or grind off the amp corners.

T

Quick Reply: Bad Idea Scale?