Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson Learned

Old 06-07-2019, 04:23 PM
IArider1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Lesson Learned

Well decided to wash my bike today. Took extra care not to hit the head unit or drown my speakers or anything of the sort. Or so I thought. I must have gotten my head unit because, about an hour after, washing my radio had some moisture behind the screen. Im sure being 85 degrees out didn't help. Long story short it started doing some funky ****. Hand controls for the radio quit working, would fast forward through songs and wouldn't let me adjust volume accept all the way down. Got it in the garage took the fairing off to make sure it didn't get drenched in there (it didn't), had a fan on it for about 2 hours now and it appears to be back to normal.

So with that being said, I need to get a cover for it when I wash it. Pretty sure the only option I have is the shimmy's, Is that correct? How does it mount? I don't have to drill holes in the inner fairing do I?

Any suggestions or what not is appreciated.

Sony Ax5000 on 2016 Street Glide just fyi

Old 06-07-2019, 04:39 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Yup you got it wet. It will take a week or so to know if it has damage. Let it dry it hour running it for a week or so. After that you will know if has permanent damage.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Could you make a shield just for cleaning instead of permanently mounting something? Maybe out of ABS or some high density foam? ****, I'd even try using some of that really clingly plastic wrap they sell at the grocery store.

I've never seen one of those shelds that looked decent mounted.

Zach

Old 06-07-2019, 06:57 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Get a shimmy's cover for it.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:02 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by IArider1
Well decided to wash my bike today. Took extra care not to hit the head unit or drown my speakers or anything of the sort. Or so I thought. I must have gotten my head unit because, about an hour after, washing my radio had some moisture behind the screen. Im sure being 85 degrees out didn't help. Long story short it started doing some funky ****. Hand controls for the radio quit working, would fast forward through songs and wouldn't let me adjust volume accept all the way down. Got it in the garage took the fairing off to make sure it didn't get drenched in there (it didn't), had a fan on it for about 2 hours now and it appears to be back to normal.

So with that being said, I need to get a cover for it when I wash it. Pretty sure the only option I have is the shimmy's, Is that correct? How does it mount? I don't have to drill holes in the inner fairing do I?

Any suggestions or what not is appreciated.

Sony Ax5000 on 2016 Street Glide just fyi
Check out the "Accidental Rain Test Thread" as Radio has engineered something u might be interested in.

T

The following users liked this post:
Juice (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

Next wash try a waterless wash. Economical, quick, and does a great job. As long as the bike/vehicle isn't extremely dirty with mud/dirt, waterless wash is awesome.
Here is a link to to one of the ones I use.

https://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-ub...less-wash.html

This doesnt fix your radio obviously but it won't happen again if you wash with this

Old 06-09-2019, 12:19 AM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Like tailwind said check out the one that was posted in the accidental rain test thread. I have the Shimmy’s cover sitting on my bench right now but I never installed it because I did not like the way it looked. I like the one Rad10 is making much better. I like the way the cover attaches to the base much better. The price is significantly less than the Shimmy’s as well. I will be taking comparison photos once I get the one in from Radio and will report here on how I like it.

The following users liked this post:
Rad10 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 08:25 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Do you guys know if the water problems are caused by the face getting wet or water running in the fairing and getting the back side wet? Have you taken any steps to keep the hu dry inside the fairing?

Old 06-09-2019, 02:55 PM
IArider1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

my Issue was definitely the face getting moisture in it. I actually have one of the super thin cheap cutting boards that acts as a rain guard over the amp and headunit in the fairing.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:17 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Here is a vid on the cover that Tailwind is talking about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lesson Learned