Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk LIDS: 6x9 lids vs 8 inch Nasty Hog

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 11:01 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
If you're dead set on using a set of lids - I'd avoid using any of those SBD "knock off" cheap plastic pieces from Advan, Nasty Hog, Mutazu or whomever, as they all suck. I've installed at least 6 sets from various manufacturers (1 for myself & 5 for others). I tried to justify my purchase and use of them for months but threw in the towel as there isn't much of a way to justify use of such an inferior product on a bike that cost me $31 large off the showroom floor, before any other aftermarket modifications. 2 of the other owners of sets I put on also removed/sold theirs as well, for similar reasoning.
Their marketing is convenience (pre-painted) & price point but the time honored saying of "you get what you pay for" couldn't be more apropos in the case of knock off lids. The paint work is far from factory standard (and as much as HD may BS on a lot items - PAINT work from HD is pretty damn good from the factory). And if your paint is Denim, you can forget about getting it "color matched" - ever (Denim paint work is best done with all parts shot from the same mix/batch). The plastics that knock offs manufacture with is thin/brittle - especially if you put against the urethane HD uses or SBD uses for their Crazy 8's . In comparison, if you've ever used/owned good tupper ware as opposed to the throw away plastic containers you'd get from Dollar General/ Family Dollar - you can see/feel the quality differences.
I'd suggest you look into the NYB polymer from Dirty Bird or VooDoo. They just a better made product (and you realize that the moment you take them out of the packaging). The allow for just about any 8" on the market to drop in with no basket modification of the speaker basket. The speaker is directed/facing the rider(s) as opposed to canted outwards - so the sound is dispersed better & they look that much better (in as much as rear speaker lids can look decent).
As much as I hate to be "that guy" (and I may be him right now) ... I can't stress enough how much I''d implore you to look before you leap in using those SBD knock off lids on your sled.
My $.02
Baddad makes great lids, and they use factory Hd paint thats second to none, but ya they aren't cheap, i've got a set and i installed a set on my buddy's bike, my bike is hot rod red flake no one wanted to touch it, baddad matched it perfectly! I'm with you , you get what you pay for