Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how big of amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Hornick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how big of amp

Okay guys this is where I'm at alpine hu with focal k2 6.5 up front and focal ic165 in the tour pack pods. They are powered by Memphis special application amp 200 watt 4 channel. NowI pretty sure I can push more power to the speakers with a different. Right? Could I go 100 watts per channel or even 150 per channel? Or are the ic165 going to be my weak point? If so what speaker in the pods? Now I wanna do saddle bag speakers and I'm going with the pioneers. So what lid? Cut them in on the side? Double up lid? I ride when I can rain or shine.So I really don't want to worry about water getting in. And also what amp to push 2 of them or if I go nuts 4 of them. Sorry for along post but thank you.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

well if you don't want to worry about water getting in your bags, then stay away from the Cycle Sounds lids... The CVO or Hogtunes lids would probably be a better option for you. I've got a SS PN2.350D mounted inside the tourpak (very small footprint) that powers my 6x9 Pioneers in the bags and it is MORE than powerful enough to do so.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Hornick
Cruiser

Do they make an adapter that fits for the cvo lids? What amp would u use to push my other speakers? Thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I wound up going with the CVO lids because of the looks and the BT479 kit. That speakers sounds pretty damn good as well and comes with the specialized adapter ring.

Pez released (go figure) the HT 6x9 lids shortly after I had mine installed otherwise I would have more than likely bought those. Direct 6x9 bolt in with no adapter necessary and IMO look just as good as the CVO lids and have water channels cut into the lid to boot. Take a look at those before you decide...

Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

oh and the amp.. me personally, SS PN4.520D hands down but I don't care about FM and most Class D amps will interfere with reception.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Hornick
Cruiser

Ht lids it is. Ss amp it is. Now I found the 6x9s on Amazon for like 80 bucks sound right or they a fake? pioneer marine grade? Or don't I really need to worry about that?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

yes sir that sounds about right for price.. When I bought mine they were a little more expensive than that.. Yeah those are as water-resistant as any other out there.. No such thing as a waterproof speaker..

Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If you're worried about rain then do not get a coax speaker. The tweeter mounts on a center post that runs through the midwoofer, and this allows water to enter. The HT speakers that come with the lids are (advertised as) waterproof, since the tweeter is bridge mounted and the midwoofer is one continuous cone with no way for water to enter. If I decide to do lids the HT will be the ones, too much rain in Florida for speakers that leak!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

this is probably a fairly accurate statement considering while I was in the Smokys a couple of weeks ago we got rained on in an unusual fashion for that area. I pulled my Pioneer speakers and sent them to Kevin at Dragonfly so I was running the BT 6x9 kit which has the same bridged tweeter mount and sealed woofer cone. The bike sat out in a rain storm up near Highland one afternoon and much to my surprise, came back to the bike expecting to find a ton of water in my bags soaking my weapon among other things. 1 drop is what I found in the right saddlebag. When I turned the lid over the water poured out the top of it. Obviously you must use common sense with stuff like this so the system was powered off immediately upon turning the bike on and left it off for at least an hour to dry out those cones.. Speakers still sound perfect.

Not sure what I would have found inside those bags had my coaxial Pioneers been in there..