Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring comfirmation about PN4.520D amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Wiring comfirmation about PN4.520D amp

Just bought a new Soundstream PN4.520D and I need confirmation about wiring it into my stock head unit. I'm only going to use it as a 2 channel amp at the moment using my batwing speakers (Hogtunes 914.2). I don't see any reason to use the hi/low level converters and just wire direct into the high level inputs on the amp. The amp in 4-channel mode is 100W RMS and my speakers are only 50W RMS with 100W max so no need to bridge it. If/when I add saddlebag speakers I would then go with new head unit at the same time thus eliminating the need for hi/low converters anyway. Is my thinking wrong? The other question is do I run it off the front or rear or does it make a difference with this amp? Any input is much appreciated.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guenther
Just bought a new Soundstream PN4.520D and I need confirmation about wiring it into my stock head unit. I'm only going to use it as a 2 channel amp at the moment using my batwing speakers (Hogtunes 914.2). I don't see any reason to use the hi/low level converters and just wire direct into the high level inputs on the amp. The amp in 4-channel mode is 100W RMS and my speakers are only 50W RMS with 100W max so no need to bridge it. If/when I add saddlebag speakers I would then go with new head unit at the same time thus eliminating the need for hi/low converters anyway. Is my thinking wrong? The other question is do I run it off the front or rear or does it make a difference with this amp? Any input is much appreciated.
Should have no problems with using the high level inputs. Most people do. The amp will work fine only using two channels without bridging it. The only thing I might add is, you need to be very careful setting your gains. That amp will easily overpower those Hogtunse speakers. The Hogtunes speakers may be rated at 50 watts RMS, but the Soundstram 4.520 puts out 130 watts with 2-ohm speakers, not 100. 100 watts is for 4-ohm speakers. You might want to consider upgrading them at some point in your build.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Should have no problems with using the high level inputs. Most people do. The amp will work fine only using two channels without bridging it. The only thing I might add is, you need to be very careful setting your gains. That amp will easily overpower those Hogtunse speakers. The Hogtunes speakers may be rated at 50 watts RMS, but the Soundstram 4.520 puts out 130 watts with 2-ohm speakers, not 100. 100 watts is for 4-ohm speakers. You might want to consider upgrading them at some point in your build.
Thanks for the response. I was planning on going with some 6.5" speakers shortly as well but didn't put that in my original post. I'm doing this in stages so I don't have to listen to my other half complain about how much money I'm spending, not that we can't afford it . I've dropped a lot of money lately on different projects and this in just one more thing to add to it. I'm just not sure which ones to go with and have been reading up as much as I can.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just be conservative on setting the gains. You sound like you have a handle on everything else.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
I would just be conservative on setting the gains. You sound like you have a handle on everything else.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

also when you go 4 speakers, no need to swap head unit if you don't want to. you simply need to make a pinned wire for pins 1,2,24,25 of the head unit's 35 pin connector (currently unused on your setup) and you'll have rear outputs. If you want the fader to work on the head unit, you'll have to drop by a dealership and let them flash it to activate.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
also when you go 4 speakers, no need to swap head unit if you don't want to. you simply need to make a pinned wire for pins 1,2,24,25 of the head unit's 35 pin connector (currently unused on your setup) and you'll have rear outputs. If you want the fader to work on the head unit, you'll have to drop by a dealership and let them flash it to activate.
Thanks for the heads up. My stealer will probably want my next child to activate the fader control. I'd like to go to a Sony DSX-MS60, or something similar, that uses USB so I can control a jump drive with the hand controls. I can use my Android phone but don't want to mess around with it while riding if I don't have to. I have my phone mounted to my window bags right now for GPS but messing with it for music is a little unsafe at times. I know the adapter with the speed volume is more expensive but that is a convenience I'd like to keep and I'd sell my stock head unit. I've seen where an iPod connection can be added to the stock head unit but haven't seen anything about a USB.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

might want to give Tony @ Iron Cross audio a call. he might be able to hook you up with something.