Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM
bucko72
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra2014
Decided not to go with cycle sounds. The first thing I asked the guy was " is your stuff plug and play, I don't want to splice into the factory wiring"
He assured me it was. Then he wouldn't send me a quote, just kept saying it was around 800.00. After looking at their website and noticing their wiring harnesses had open wires for splicing. I asked Ed about it and he said we are done talking. Be careful!!!
sorry you had a bad experience with them. i talked to them on the phone twice and they were polite and answered my questions. hope you find something that works for ya. good luck.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Ultra2014
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
also FWIW, whatever any vendor doesn't have to make your system of choice 99.9% plug n play, then Alan at VTwin Audio is your man. That guy works wonders with wiring harnesses, including special order stuff.

*EDIT*
Just noticed you're a neighbor.
Where are you?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra2014
Decided not to go with cycle sounds. The first thing I asked the guy was " is your stuff plug and play, I don't want to splice into the factory wiring"
He assured me it was. Then he wouldn't send me a quote, just kept saying it was around 800.00. After looking at their website and noticing their wiring harnesses had open wires for splicing. I asked Ed about it and he said we are done talking. Be careful!!!
Just for the record, the cycle sounds stuff is completely plug and play (except of course power, ground, and remote) IF you use their magic box. If you don't and you wire it through the hi-level inputs you'll have to wire them yourself. That being said, I'm really not impressed with the sound I'm getting. It is louder and doesn't sound, just not what I was expecting. This is my first bike with a stereo so I may be expecting too much. If I were to do it again, I think I'd try the BT stuff instead. Unfortunately due to my work schedule, I had the stuff too long to return it before I really had time to check it out. Lesson learned

Old 06-09-2015, 11:38 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,272 Likes on 435 Posts

After reading JM Johns advice, went to local dealer and only had them turn on rear output. Took some persuading. First they wanted to run me out of service bay. Then tech insisted he had to change from zero amplifiers to one. When that didn't get desired results insisted he had to flash amp.

Held my ground and told him what I wanted him to do. Finally did it my way. Now I have fader control and still have Speed volume control. Can't be without that! Would be a real pain in the *ss to have to mess with volume every time I slow down.

Hardly have to turn up volume to blast me off bike, but had to set Alpine MRV-F300 amp crossover switches to HP for tweeter/midrange and turn down gain and crossovers to get rid of bass. Speakers just couldn't handle any bass. I didn't pay much for my JBL 6.5 in batwing, or the Infinity 6.5 in lowers, but expected them to be able to exhibit SOME bass handling.

Will ride this way for a while and see if I get used to sound or...

Old 06-10-2015, 08:32 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wmprof
After reading JM Johns advice, went to local dealer and only had them turn on rear output. Took some persuading. First they wanted to run me out of service bay. Then tech insisted he had to change from zero amplifiers to one. When that didn't get desired results insisted he had to flash amp.

Held my ground and told him what I wanted him to do. Finally did it my way. Now I have fader control and still have Speed volume control. Can't be without that! Would be a real pain in the *ss to have to mess with volume every time I slow down.

Hardly have to turn up volume to blast me off bike, but had to set Alpine MRV-F300 amp crossover switches to HP for tweeter/midrange and turn down gain and crossovers to get rid of bass. Speakers just couldn't handle any bass. I didn't pay much for my JBL 6.5 in batwing, or the Infinity 6.5 in lowers, but expected them to be able to exhibit SOME bass handling.

Will ride this way for a while and see if I get used to sound or...
Feel pretty confident in saying the speakers/amp are not why you're unable to obtain any resemblance of bass response but rather that ridiculous excuse for DSP built into those head units.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM
MartinSporti
Intermediate
Default why ...

is Jm Audios Flash recommondation totally different than Rockford Foagate ?

I have 1 RF PBR 300x2 and the Infinity Kappas.

Magic Box does not sound as good as i expectedt, now i want to viait Dealer for flash, but im confused about the setting.

Martin

Old 06-10-2015, 02:40 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

J&Ms recommendation (as well as many others) initially was the same as the RF recommendation and that was prior to all these screwed up flashes and software updates being released by HD for these head units that simply made matters worse. The difference now with the recommendations from John is based on using J&M's own product in the Rokker line of amps. These amps have a programmable chipset in them whereas none of the other amps out there do. Whether this is a good, bad or indifferent thing is up to the end user.

My understanding from talking to the people that I talk to is pretty limited but IMO nothing is really helping at this point. John says his product works flawlessly yet I see people complaining about limiting the output power of the amps to circumvent the DSP issues with the radios. I constantly see Cycle Sounds' magic box not living up to it's claim to fame either.

I've shy'd away from doing any further installs on 14/15 bikes going on 3 months now because of all of this. My time and labor is not reimbursed to me by HD for installing a system then the owner not being happy with the end result and coming back for me to put it back the way it was. Besides they need to get their own engineers as well as H/K's engineers to figure this mess out instead of relying on the likes of the professional installers and aftermarket companies such as J&M, Hogtunes, Cycle Sounds, among many others.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:25 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Rockford Fosgate Punch EQ

Sorry, Deleted

Last edited by HogPilot54; 06-10-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,272 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
My understanding from talking to the people that I talk to is pretty limited but IMO nothing is really helping at this point. John says his product works flawlessly yet I see people complaining about limiting the output power of the amps to circumvent the DSP issues with the radios. I constantly see Cycle Sounds' magic box not living up to it's claim to fame either.
Anybody have an aftermarket head unit for the Rushmores? I was thinking today I might pick up a generic double din install kit and see how it would lay out on the inner fairing. I installed auto stereos professionally for half dozen years, but that was forty years ago. I'll report back if anything positive.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 AM
MartinSporti
Intermediate
Default Does ...

the Street Glide runs without original Head Unit ?

I know Police 2014 has no Radio / Head Unit - therefore instead just a plastic box.

I would also directly go that way, but never heard, that Head Unit can be taken out easily.

Martin

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread