Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Leaking Carb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Bighec
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Just from looking at your photos, I would think that either your accelerator pump diaphragm is seeping or the bowl gasket is compromised from corrosion.

Don't muck around trying to "fix" this kind of minor issue, just get an OEM carb rebuild kit for your bike and spend a couple of loving hours cleaning and reassembling your carb with the new parts...and learn from the experience.

Or pay someone $150/hour to do it for you.
I went the $55 an hour route the first time this happened at my local Harley dealer and they supposedly fixed it. Now it's leaking significantly worse than before and in a perfect world I'd just throw on an S&S carb and ditch the 1998 CV carb.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

they probably did not even look at the accelerator pump diaphragm...could be one of those things they can do and still legitimately call it a repair for the higher flat-rate labor charge plus individual parts used instead of the flat-rated complete rebuild charge.

Like I said, get the HD kit, some carb/injector spray cleaner, and do it yourself...money and time well spent.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Bighec
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So. I went ahead and bought the James rebuild kit. I removed my carb and took off the upper and lower covers and also removed the accelerator pump cover. I replaced the gasket for the bowl, the diaphragm and o-ring in the accelerator pump and I cleaned everything off with brake cleaner.

During disassembly i noticed the diaphragm was upside down and the tiny o-ring was damaged. I figured the o-ring was causing my leak.

I put everything back together and when reinstalling the needle i noticed there was one washer below it, making contact with the carb and two were resting above the spring seat. I started up the bike and it idles just fine, but when i accelerate it sputters and dies. I assumed it was running rich.

I started doing some research and found i installed the spring seat backward. I reinstalled that the right way and tried again with the air filter off. Again the bike idles fine, but when i accelerate, the bike sputters and wants to turn off. I also noticed fuel spitting out of the intake when I accelerate.

It should be noted I did not touch any of the adjustments or anything other than what I mentioned.

Wisdom and guidance.... Please?

DISREGARD. I fixed the needle jet placement. Runs fine now.

Last edited by Bighec; 06-28-2017 at 02:43 PM.