Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Jetting, fuel air mix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 02:12 PM
BiggCliff412
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A guess a failed battery cable was the bad(dest) apple between failed tank liner and intake leak. Swapped negative cable to a new and all my problems disappeared...at least they went away for my 2 hour test ride.

Now I have to figure how to get the idle speed within spec without a tach.

Thanks to all you cats who helped a rookie out

Old 10-28-2019, 05:17 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Really glad to see you getting it sorted out Cliff. Yeah, a battery cable can break inside the insulation and drive ya nuts. And your ride sounds really happy in the last video! Thanks for posting your follow-up(s). So few people on here do that and leaves everyone, including passer bys hunting a solution, in the dark. Ride safe

Old 02-07-2020, 03:42 PM
newzealand
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey BiggCliff, first up we have very similar bikes. Before you get too worried about spending big dollars I'd say that diagnosis & repair of these fine engines is a straightforward matter if you approach it methodically, which it sounds like you're doing. Did you know that stumble / coughs off idle is a well documented condition that affects many of our bikes, particuarly California models. Here is my 10 cents worth from dealing with a similar issue. First up I did the manifold seals as you did. Next, your bike shouldn't need 4 turns out on the idle screw, that indicates a lean condition as other posters have said. Since you have been to a mechanic, there is one thing I would look at before you go worrying about piston rings. We are riding bikes that are nearly a quarter century old (to our pride!); the rubber seals are the first thing to show deterioration, & there are a few of these. Lift the seat & tank, check the rubber line from your vaccuum plate behind but integral to the fuel tap. Trace it all the way to the VOES unit & on to the carburetor. These run close to the engine & are affected by heat. Next, buy a complete carb rebuild kit & replace all rubber there, this is easy, & you'll want to do it if it ain't been done. You're running BIG pipes & an open air filter so a 48 jet is not unreasonable given std. is 45 for these mods. Your plugs actually don't look too bad, the electrodes look ok & I've yet to get that desirable "tan colour" the literature says is best in 40 years of riding: but I err a little rich for cool riding. Tell me how you got on...Best from New Zealand.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:32 PM
Art Mann
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning,and I'm in NZ as well .I've only had my bike 3 months and is a 05 twin cam.Would pop and blow back when backing off on revs and coming to a stop or putting along at 50km,done mixture etc and yesterday put a 46 pilot in(had a 45 which i didn't know at the time,so not much diff) and a 185 main.Seemed better but when in top gear engine breaking coming down our hill(does it most times,so should change down) it did it real bad,noticed oil running down my cam cover and when i got home(only 2mins away) there was oil around bottom of rod tube and around the base.cleaned it up,started bike let it run and couldn't see any leak,can't see anywhere it could have come from up higher.Any idea why this happened?

Old 03-13-2020, 11:48 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Likely from breather as they vent into the air cleaner. Check oil level after running, if oil is above max it will blow excess oil into breather.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:01 AM
Art Mann
Stage III

Cheers. Yep seemed to be the problem.
Had put a new intake on,and never was happy with the rubber drainers into the breather,front one must of blocked the breather bolt

Old 03-14-2020, 12:20 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,406 Likes on 2,960 Posts

Go back to 3 full turns out, and get the correct emulsion tube.

The following users liked this post:
Art Mann (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 12:32 AM
Art Mann
Stage III

It's 3 turns out now and seems ok, only done 10 min rides at this stage.
would the tube been changed when they changed the main jet? It came with a Dyno jet kit, haven't taken much notice if it comes with one,and only think a 185 jet is in,as that seems to be the one missing from the content sheet

Old 03-14-2020, 01:10 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,406 Likes on 2,960 Posts

Yes, the correct emulsion tube should have been included with the Dyno-jet kit. They are critical to getting your bike to run right. The hole sizes and location are totally different than the stock emulsion tube.
Gotta change your slide spring too.
I was just looking for the jet needle for that application. It's got a different contour compared to the stock needle.
Sorry, wish I had the part #'s for you.