Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys who have painted there lower shocks black...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 PM
03geetee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys who have painted there lower shocks black...

Just curious to what gloss you went with on the paint? I have some enamel in semi gloss just wasn't sure what it would look like against the black gloss of the bike.

Thanks for any pics or tips!

JTR

Old 01-30-2015, 12:26 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

If you try to use paint, the flexing of the shocks will most likely cause the paint to crack and flake off after a while. Powder coating would be a better option or a new set in black.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:41 PM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also recommend powdercoating but if you really want to paint them the best spray can paint I've found for metal is rust-oleum appliance appoxy. The black will match your bike. You should only expect to get a couple years out of it though.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:01 AM
Bbbadboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like there's no harm in trying to spray them. Powder. They would have to be completely disassembled all seals removed, sand blasted, powdered then baked anyway. Now if your due for new seals. Powder !

Old 02-01-2015, 07:29 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I used Appliance epxoy and here is my write up below. I'm running on 6 years with the lowers painted and they still look good. Some small chips from riding, but I don't think powder can prevent that even with powder. You can't see them unless you get down and look. I also did my trees, battery band, forwards, turn sigs.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-jrk-pics.html

Old 02-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know ... the spring doesn't just compress, it twists as well. And you're not going to be able to key the surface at all.

It's a bad idea full stop, that's likely going to end up in a mess.

What about one of those "rubber coat" sprays you can peel off easy if it goes wrong?

Funnily enough, I was at a shock maker in person last week discussing just this as the powder coat on the springs had started to come off and they admitted the problem explain just why, see above.

We were talking about alternatives like chemical blacking them (like parkerizing) but if your spring are chrome, it'd mean stripping and blasting them first.

Do the makers not sell black ones? Or what about fitting shrouds like the old school style?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:29 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
I don't know ... the spring doesn't just compress, it twists as well. And you're not going to be able to key the surface at all.

It's a bad idea full stop, that's likely going to end up in a mess.

What about one of those "rubber coat" sprays you can peel off easy if it goes wrong?

Funnily enough, I was at a shock maker in person last week discussing just this as the powder coat on the springs had started to come off and they admitted the problem explain just why, see above.

We were talking about alternatives like chemical blacking them (like parkerizing) but if your spring are chrome, it'd mean stripping and blasting them first.

Do the makers not sell black ones? Or what about fitting shrouds like the old school style?
Check out the "Plasti Dip" thread here for the rubber.
Are we talking about shocks or the forks ?
Lots of shock makers sell black shocks if that's what you're talking about.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Coated mine in appliance epxoy, two years ago, still look good. I scuffed up the metal surface with some 240 grit paper, taped everything off and applied the 3 coatings as directed, about 25 minutes between coats. I then waited a week, scuffed it up with some scotch brite and applied two more coats for good measure. The waitedabout 3 days before I even touched them again to make sure they were nice and cured.