Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 V&H Big Radius 2-2, Dobeck TFI, popping on decel

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:04 PM
JU2012FXDWG
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2012 V&H Big Radius 2-2, Dobeck TFI, popping on decel

On Wednesday I purchased a used bike from a guy here in Northern Virginia. He is a Marine and brought the bike with him from San Diego to Quantico. He purchased the FXDWG new from a dealership in San Diego where they installed the following:

Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-into-2
K&N Air cleaner (factory air cleaner cover)
Tuner - Dobeck Performance TFI controller.

He claims, and I believe him, that no other modifications were done to bike.Super well maintained. Only 3K miles on it.
Rode it from Quantico to Alexandria and noticed a lot of popping on decel.

Questions to the forum.

Would it be necessary to re-tune the controller for East Coast conditions?
If the Tuner was installed in San Diego would that predetermine the settings on the Tuner? Meaning; set it to ABC for Southern California and use XYZ settings for Mid-Atlantic Region.

Years ago I had installed V&H Longshots on a carbed bike and changed the air intake. One of the questions they asked me was where I lived to determine the proper jets to send me for my carb for the new exhaust.
Do you see my logic here? Am I misunderstanding Tuners and EFI?

I really hate popping on decel!
I spent a lot on the RoadKing I had to get rid of the popping on decel when I put dual exhaust on it 12 years ago. At that time Patriot HD hooked it up to their PC and Dyno to dial it all in.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions on getting rid of the decel popping. I read a couple of threads about changing baffles. A few other guys have my exact set up with no popping on decel. There has to be a way to remedy this. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:43 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the positions of the pots on the tuner. I had a Dobeck tuner to start with and positioning the pots at the recommended settings eliminated most of the exhaust popping, although it never went away completly. I evenutally upgraded to a Power Vision which got rid of all the exhaust popping.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:08 AM
SDgunfighter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not pro with these bikes, and excuse me if I am wrong but would'nt simply adding say 5-10% more fuel down low completely remove all of that issue? I am not familiar with any tuner except PCV (for motorcycles at least) and we would purposely minus fuel at the 500-2000 rpm zones to get a huge fireball just for fun haha. Other than that we would keep adding in small increments until the popping went away.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 AM
JU2012FXDWG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
Check the positions of the pots on the tuner. I had a Dobeck tuner to start with and positioning the pots at the recommended settings eliminated most of the exhaust popping, although it never went away completly. I evenutally upgraded to a Power Vision which got rid of all the exhaust popping.
I called Dobeck on the phone, EXTREMELY HELPFUL!
They gave me some ideas to get rid of it.
Thanks.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:48 AM
JU2012FXDWG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SDgunfighter
I am not pro with these bikes, and excuse me if I am wrong but would'nt simply adding say 5-10% more fuel down low completely remove all of that issue? I am not familiar with any tuner except PCV (for motorcycles at least) and we would purposely minus fuel at the 500-2000 rpm zones to get a huge fireball just for fun haha. Other than that we would keep adding in small increments until the popping went away.
You are exactly right. Dobeck told me to increase slightly the green pot and test ride to popping goes away. If not, I will either live with it or change the tuner.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:23 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JU2012FXDWG
You are exactly right. Dobeck told me to increase slightly the green pot and test ride to popping goes away. If not, I will either live with it or change the tuner.
Thanks for your help.
I tinkered with the pots when I had mine and it helped some, but never "totally" went away. Also, it seemed to run better when I had the pots at the recommended settings so I moved them back and dealt with the exhaust popping.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:50 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tinkered with the pots when I had mine and it helped some, but never "totally" went away. Also, it seemed to run better when I had the pots at the recommended settings so I moved them back and dealt with the exhaust popping.
Same experience I had with my 2010 FXDC. Installed Rush Slip-ons & Big Sucker intake, but with the Dobeck I was never able to get rid of the decel popping. I though my bike ran good, but when I installed the Power Vision it ran like a different bike. Unbelievable difference in power, plus the decel popping was gone. You're leaving a buttload of performance on the table if you don't get a proper tuner. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:04 AM
JU2012FXDWG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 11bDad
Same experience I had with my 2010 FXDC. Installed Rush Slip-ons & Big Sucker intake, but with the Dobeck I was never able to get rid of the decel popping. I though my bike ran good, but when I installed the Power Vision it ran like a different bike. Unbelievable difference in power, plus the decel popping was gone. You're leaving a buttload of performance on the table if you don't get a proper tuner. Good luck.
I saw a couple of threads that mention the Power Vision. I did a google search. It looks expensive and a bit over my head. Something a tech at the Harley Shop should do instead of me. I haven't had the bike one week so I need to relax and appreciate what is sitting in my garage.

I am an OCD Perfectionist at times. I will double check the recommended settings for the Dobeck tuner and go from there.

This question is for everyone: Is it possible to change the exhaust, air filter, and not to a Stage One reflash?

The reason I ask is the Dobeck Performance Tuner has settings for "with Stage One" and "without Stage One".

I never asked the original owner if he had a Stage One done on the bike from HD.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:07 AM
JU2012FXDWG
Cruiser

This is most likely the best advice I will receive on the subject. I have to convince myself to accept what I have, appreciate what is in my garage, and not pick apart and obsess over minute details. It is just an occasional popping.