Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED indicators - will I need a load equalizer

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 PM
offbeatmammal
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question LED indicators - will I need a load equalizer

planning on getting LED indicators front and rear - the Custom Dynamics ones have such a good reputation I'm going straight for that but I have a question...

on my pre-CANBUS 05 FXDLi will I need a load equalizer (just one, or one for front and one for rear) and if so ... where the heck would I put them?! the boxes look pretty big and I'm at a loss where the heck I could stick them (with the power commander already in the service access under the saddle there's not much room!) ... do the 05 FXDLi's have an indicator relay that I could swap out rather than going the load equalizer route?

Beyond polishing my bike I've not attempted anything remotely mechanical yet beyond finding out where fluids go, so be gentle if I'm missing something really obvious

Old 05-14-2015, 01:02 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes you will. And it's fairly small. I had to put mine actually on the rear fender, behind the space under the seat. My 07 has a little space behind the frame, and I was able to pass the wiring through an opening in the frame. With a fuelpak and the CD tripple play, and factory securtity receiver, it was a tight fit, but you just have to make use of all the space.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:25 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by offbeatmammal
planning on getting LED indicators front and rear - the Custom Dynamics ones have such a good reputation I'm going straight for that but I have a question...

on my pre-CANBUS 05 FXDLi will I need a load equalizer (just one, or one for front and one for rear) and if so ... where the heck would I put them?! the boxes look pretty big and I'm at a loss where the heck I could stick them (with the power commander already in the service access under the saddle there's not much room!) ... do the 05 FXDLi's have an indicator relay that I could swap out rather than going the load equalizer route?

Beyond polishing my bike I've not attempted anything remotely mechanical yet beyond finding out where fluids go, so be gentle if I'm missing something really obvious
You need an electronic relay that does not depend on current flow as the mechanical ones do. Any automotive electronic relay will do the job although you may have to do some hacking as the plugs may not be compatible. Putting in additional load resistors will allow you to use your existing blinker relay but negates any benefit you get with LED's like lower power consumption.

Last edited by fat_tony; 05-14-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:08 AM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Load equalisers will work, but you probably don't need them. TRY THIS FIRST- IT'S FRE

When I changed my rear turn bulbs for LEDs, (pre-canbus 2011 FXDB) my blink rate was fast. All I had to do was I re-set the TSSM ('Turn Signal Security Module', I think):

- Pull the front brake lever and hold it on.
- Turn ignition ON. Brake light should now be on.
- Push the left signal button, then push the right signal button immediately.
- This will reset the TSSM.

My blink rate has been normal ever since. No equaliser, no nuthin'...

I don't know if yours is the same TSSM as mine (2011), but hopefully that'll help.

Last edited by Davdoodles; 05-14-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 AM
clovisrider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need is a flasher for LED lights.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:59 PM
offbeatmammal
Advanced

thanks all - gave me the confidence to stop wasting time on the internet and give it a try

fitted the front ones (picked them up from my local H-D dealer) into the existing housing, swapped the orange covers for smoke and all looks good.

When I first powered the bike up they were flashing like crazy, but followed the instructions here and didn't need the load equalizer

Next ... gotta do the back ones (hopefully that won't need load equalizer either) and upgrade the headlight... (oh god, what have you people started!)

Old 05-16-2015, 10:39 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 813 Likes on 546 Posts

I spoke with Custom Dynamics regarding this very same topic, They have a kit (GEN200-Kit) you can buy that does both F/R, comes with the stabilizer and you can add the Smart Triple Play for an extra $90. That comes to about $355, add the LED tail light kit and the whole Plug & Play package is $495. I looked into Harley's LEDs, F/R are $400 alone, thats without the tail light, stabilizer and rear turn/brake/tail module. I'm doing tires over the next week or so (car & bike) but Im seriously considering the Led kit from CD....50% of my riding time is at night, and the back country roads where I live the critters at 2:30AM are plentiful.

thanks all - gave me the confidence to stop wasting time on the internet and give it a try

fitted the front ones (picked them up from my local H-D dealer) into the existing housing, swapped the orange covers for smoke and all looks good.

When I first powered the bike up they were flashing like crazy, but followed the instructions here and didn't need the load equalizer

Next ... gotta do the back ones (hopefully that won't need load equalizer either) and upgrade the headlight... (oh god, what have you people started!)

Old 05-17-2015, 01:35 PM
offbeatmammal
Advanced

added the rear lights (just amber as they're not running lights at the back) and the TSSM reset wasn't enough this time to get them flashing at the right speed to had to bite the bullet and add the load equalizer... but now bright Custom Dynamics blinkers all round. Time to look at the other lights....

Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 813 Likes on 546 Posts

added the rear lights (just amber as they're not running lights at the back) and the TSSM reset wasn't enough this time to get them flashing at the right speed to had to bite the bullet and add the load equalizer... but now bright Custom Dynamics blinkers all round. Time to look at the other lights....
Not sure what you mean here? Do you have CD's or going to get them? I thought you had HD's LED's?

Old 05-17-2015, 04:09 PM
offbeatmammal
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
Not sure what you mean here? Do you have CD's or going to get them? I thought you had HD's LED's?
got CD ones from local HD dealer - same price, and no waiting to ship

Quick Reply: LED indicators - will I need a load equalizer