Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06' Dyna Street Bob Inner Primary Bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 PM
CWS
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 06' Dyna Street Bob Inner Primary Bearing noise

i know that this is a pretty well known and well documented issue and my 06 with 7,000 miles started making the noise that indicates my IPB needs to be replaced. I've read a lot of threads of people having this issue fixed for free by Harley. Has anyone gotten it done for free recently? I understand that it's a 9 year old bike but if there's anyway I can get out of having to pay $500 for such a common and recurring issue id love to. Thanks in advanced.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:23 PM
emory70
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering that free replacement used to be described in the service manual, you should be able to get it done by the dealership. Personally, I don't trust any dealership mechanic to touch my Harleys.

It's not a difficult job, and you have the option to use a better bearing like the Baker. The only specialty tool I had to use was the sprocket lock, which is just a piece of steel the right length with tapered ends.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by emory70
Considering that free replacement used to be described in the service manual, you should be able to get it done by the dealership. Personally, I don't trust any dealership mechanic to touch my Harleys.

It's not a difficult job, and you have the option to use a better bearing like the Baker. The only specialty tool I had to use was the sprocket lock, which is just a piece of steel the right length with tapered ends.
The "free replacement" was recinded by a H-D Corporate letter a long time ago.

What I (and many other folks) did was called H-D, described the problem and got a Reference #. Went to dealer with #, they went to the innards, diagnosed the problem, and called H-D. "Most" of time H-D picked up teh cost even out of the warranty periodt.

Use the Search to find the long thread on the topic - you might find it helpful.