Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Killed that electrical gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Killed that electrical gremlin

Last night, since my gas tank is off for paint, I decided to install the HD sig relocation kit, as getting the harness out of the spine is soooo much easier with the tank off. Anyway kit went on no prob. Really not comfortable with the "cut the wire" approach on the bar switch to signal wiring, but what else can ya do. So I staggered the cuts and used the glue lined heat shrink so it should be good. Anyway, got it all together and the left side was dark. Switched the connectors around (left in right) and the left lamp was still dark. So I started fiddling around with the base (using custom dynamics led's) and got it to light, but only when pressing the base in but not when locked. Also not switching from run to signal. Giving up, I went rifling through my junk box for the reflectors that I had left over from when I did this on my FXD. Before I started pulling the left lamp apart, I compared the two and I noticed that the contacts were in a different position then what was on the right side (and the backup replacement). So it appeared that the spring loaded base of the reflector socket somehow rotated about 45 deg and was causing the contacts not to make contact... Got a pair of probes, gave it a spin and it popped back into place - there is a tab and notch that aligns the base that apparently was assembled incorrectly. Once it popped into place, put the LED back in and voila, everything works!

Just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else had a similar one in a million situation.

Here's the reflector. The white base needed to rotate about 45 deg counterclockwise... If you look closely you can see the tab at around 1:00 that actually needed to be at 10:00.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

simply amazing.......