Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 03:59 AM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Headlight

I just got a new headlight for my '06 Super Glide. It's a 5.75 x 9 Cobra from Eastern. The headlight has only 2 wires, the stock Harley light uses 4 wires. I checked out the schematics and I can't really tell what to eliminate and what to stay with. Apparently since there are only two wires you only get a1beam light, as in no low/high beam. One of the wires on the stock light is for the hi beam indicator (I think) so that one would be eliminated. I don't have the schematic right here with menow so I could be getting some of this wrong. What is the best way to hook this light up? Is it legal to run a headlight on a bike that has no high beam, or low beam or whatever? Also, Eastern has this nice little (tiny) $30 bracket that you need to move the light out far enough that it doesn't hit the fork neck (due the to the light housing being so long). Problem with that pricey bracket is that when you pull off the bracket that came with the headlight and go to put on the new $30 bracket it doesn't work. The cap head allen bolts that come with the headlight have different threads that what the bracket has. Isn't that just ducky? $30 for this little piece of crap bracket and they didn't even give me one that was threaded to accept the cap screws that were already there.
Anyway, primary thing, what about those damn headlight wires?

Old 06-09-2007, 05:12 AM
Limey
Tourer
Default RE: New Headlight

I would guess that the two wires you have are +ve wires for normal beam and high beam. The headlight probably relies on grounding through the frame for the -ve connection which can sometimes be patchy. If this is the case you can always run a -ve wire if you want to.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:49 AM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

That makes sense, a little strange but it makes some sense. I can see where the ground might be a little hit and miss. Anyone else out there know about this? I know there has to be a couple of guys on this forum that have installed these Cobras from Eastern. I've seen them in the pics.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

I put a new light on mine, can't remember the colors but I do know theone is ground and you wont need it on your new light, the other 2, One is high and the other is low.... What I did was to connect them and test them and I got it right first try! the new light will ground off the mounting!

If you need I can go to the shed and look but just do a trial an error thing.... you can't hurt anything unless you ground out one of the hot wires and that will do nothing but blow a fuse!

Here's the best pic I have of my light and I have not had one problem sense I got it!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FXDCI Rider,

I just installed the Harley 4-1/2" billet headlight on my Low Rider. It was basically plug and play. If you need, I'll peruse the schematics and let you know what you need to do. Otherwise I think Naz_man said it beat.

Bart

Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P.S. I like the turn signal relocation on your bike. They look so much better moved off of the handlebars and onto the lower triple tree. What kit did you use? I got the Harley one but they just look like they poketo far out for my tastes. Yours, however, look sweet.

Thanks for the info,
Bart

Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Not sure if you were talking to me or not but I got this Signal Kit

Take care, Donnie

Old 06-09-2007, 10:57 AM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

Thanks for the info Nas_Man and Black Bart. My front signals are the H-D relocation set. They look like the wings on a Cessna. I found a guy that made a double ended all thread stud and mounted his lights the way Naz_Man did. But, I think I'll do the same kit that Naz_Man did. Naz_Man started off with the same bike as me. He's pretty close to what I'm shooting for. But I think I'm going to put a Low Rider tank on my frame and take that Speedo/Tach kit off the fork and get them in the tank dash like they were meant to be.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:58 AM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

I'm also going to put on a set of drag bars. Can't make up my mind on the pipes yet.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

BTW I have an 05 and the tubes are 39mm not 41 or 49 although I wish they were. I'm also gonnado a tank swap like the one in the link below as soon as I get all the cash together. Takes alot of cash because I'm gonnado a nice paint job too thinking..... candy apple red with some ghost flames or high gloss black with flames... I'll deffantly post some pics when I get that done, most likely be next year sometime. I'm also gonnaput a soft tail front end on it.

The wide conversion kit will be for sale soon gonna ask 500 bucks for it!

Link Click Me

Peace man, Donnie

Quick Reply: New Headlight