Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Suggestions

For those who don't know, I installed a se 117 kit on my lrs last year. Aside from that, the only performance upgrades are a fat cat and power vision. I now have 18k on it and never made it to the track once this year.
Now I'll get to the point, I'm looking to start occasionally hitting the track next season and im curious if there's anything I should upgrade prior to all the abuse. I've beat the hell out of it since break in, and so far so good, but what do you guys think? Anyone had any issues or break anything on the track?

I do plan on upgrading my clutch first, however I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to replace it with just yet. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

by track do you mean drag or circuit?

Oil cooler wouldn't go astray, if you are heading onto the circuit where do you begin

suspension, brakes, crash protection you name it. Over engineering everything for any contingency the bike may be put under.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:19 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Old 11-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you. I'm talking about hitting the drag strip on the weekends. I should have specified, but I'm asking about powertrain components that are likely to fail. I'm not looking to race enough to justify a few grand on suspension/brakes/etc, but my lrs is my daily driver year round so is like to keep it operational.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:06 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Drag racing?

Not a very good platform for drag racing. Too heavy and too weak.

Krawiec/Hines

Both are on Factory "Harleys" in Pro Stock.

Those bikes are not similar to the bikes you can get at your friendly neighborhood HD dealer...

Not likely to be built to that level either, unless you pour some serious $$$$$$$ into it.

Now, if you want to do it "just for kicks," then that's a different game.
Shouldn't cost more than $30-40K.
Post up your build as you go, please.
Should be fun to see your development.

Been to a "Drag racer" school yet?

I did motorcycle drag racing, back in the 1970's up to about 1993-4. Fun times. Try not to wheelie!

When at Pomona last year, my reaction time was .044 sec on the simulator in the HD pits. Not bad but not good either. If you're serious, then a reaction time of 1/4th that would certainly help in getting you off the line. Some would say I was "caught sleeping @ the tree." I kinda agree. Some thing for me to work on, I guess!

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 11-19-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added more stuff
Old 11-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Drag racing?

Not a very good platform for drag racing. Too heavy and too weak.

Krawiec/Hines

Both are on Factory "Harleys" in Pro Stock.

Those bikes are not similar to the bikes you can get at your friendly neighborhood HD dealer...

Not likely to be built to that level either, unless you pour some serious $$$$$$$ into it.

Now, if you want to do it "just for kicks," then that's a different game.
Shouldn't cost more than $30-40K.
Post up your build as you go, please.
Should be fun to see your development.

Been to a "Drag racer" school yet?

I did motorcycle drag racing, back in the 1970's up to about 1993-4. Fun times. Try not to wheelie!

When at Pomona last year, my reaction time was .044 sec on the simulator in the HD pits. Not bad but not good either. If you're serious, then a reaction time of 1/4th that would certainly help in getting you off the line. Some would say I was "caught sleeping @ the tree." I kinda agree. Some thing for me to work on, I guess!

Why hey do you say that? I can't be the only guy who races his lrs. I'm just looking to do quarter mile drags once in a while. As far as your reaction time goes, I'm not expecting much better with mine til I go a few times. I most definitely have to work on my launch too considering I've never done this before.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,533 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
Why hey do you say that? I can't be the only guy who races his lrs. I'm just looking to do quarter mile drags once in a while. As far as your reaction time goes, I'm not expecting much better with mine til I go a few times. I most definitely have to work on my launch too considering I've never done this before.
LOL I wasn't expecting to see all that, either. I figured you were out to burn some cash and have some fun! I can't wait to see your times as you progress!