Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more cams.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:24 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts
Default more cams.....

Not looking for a discussion on which are best for this or that build/application.

Trying to figure out which S&S easy start cam is comparable to the SE 204, for my 103 build.

I want the 204 profile, but cant do the compression releases. Auto is to pricey for my budget, and manuals are a dead give away to the Swiss DOT of an illegal mod.

So Easy Start Cams it has to be... but which one??

Old 11-19-2017, 06:49 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

You do not need compression releases with the 204 cams in a 103. I have that set up and with milled heads. Starting without compression releases works just fine. Spins over fast.

The 204 cam set is great for this application.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:26 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by leafman60
You do not need compression releases with the 204 cams in a 103. I have that set up and with milled heads. Starting without compression releases works just fine. Spins over fast.

The 204 cam set is great for this application.
not 100% true. ACRs are stock on factory 103s for reliable starting. it may work for you but, let's chill on the absolute statements and telling people what they do and don't need.

Originally Posted by Krazy8s

Trying to figure out which S&S easy start cam is comparable to the SE 204, for my 103 build.
compare the hd 204s duration/timing specs to the sscycle charts. 509, 510, 546 seem to be the range you are looking for. easy starts to make a clearly distinguishable noise (tapping) when the bike first starts.. may be another "give away".

you can also ask the same question here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...cal-topics-46/ but, know that there's going to be 20 questions coming back, vendors trying to sell you bore packages and a bunch of other nonsense. clearly state that you want to only want cam info and not headwork suggestions and blah blah.

Last edited by cvaria; 11-19-2017 at 08:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Krazy8s (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

What exactly is an "illegal mod"? Only ask because in the us, some states have emissions/inspections, (not Michigan thank god) but you can still do builds and keep the bikes emissions within the legal limits. Obviously I'm not familiar with Switzerlands standards.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
What exactly is an "illegal mod"? Only ask because in the us, some states have emissions/inspections, (not Michigan thank god) but you can still do builds and keep the bikes emissions within the legal limits. Obviously I'm not familiar with Switzerlands standards.
Basically over here, anything that isn't factory fitted OEM is considered to be illegal. Even SE upgrades because they weren't factory fitted to the original bike.

for example, I can go buy a factory built Screaming Eagle bike, but I'm not allowed to upgrade a non SE factory bike with SE parts. Same goes for after market parts. There are ways and means to "legalize" stuff, but it gets real expensive real fast.

That said, sometimes you get lucky with the DoT inspector on the day. If you get a guy who is busy and needs to push vehicles through, (or just simply not an **** retentive jerk), you'll often get away with passing your emissions and noise and be sent on your way. But even then if they suspect for a moment you've got non factory fitted mods you can be in for a world of expensive pain.

Think California standards on steroids, and yes it is rigorously enforced here.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Damn man that's rough. I don't think I'd last 2 hours over there. That's 50% of owning a Harley is customizing it.

The following users liked this post:
nick@nite (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
Damn man that's rough. I don't think I'd last 2 hours over there. That's 50% of owning a Harley is customizing it.
Yep, but over here we are the kings of un-noticeable mods. Hence the need for easy start cams as opposed to in your face manual comp releases

Old 11-19-2017, 03:15 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
Basically over here, anything that isn't factory fitted OEM is considered to be illegal. Even SE upgrades because they weren't factory fitted to the original bike.

for example, I can go buy a factory built Screaming Eagle bike, but I'm not allowed to upgrade a non SE factory bike with SE parts. Same goes for after market parts. There are ways and means to "legalize" stuff, but it gets real expensive real fast.

That said, sometimes you get lucky with the DoT inspector on the day. If you get a guy who is busy and needs to push vehicles through, (or just simply not an **** retentive jerk), you'll often get away with passing your emissions and noise and be sent on your way. But even then if they suspect for a moment you've got non factory fitted mods you can be in for a world of expensive pain.

Think California standards on steroids, and yes it is rigorously enforced here.
That just pain sucks. Wtf happened to freedom. Why here is USA I belong to a federal level ABATE otherwise motorcycles would be illegal period. I had SE 204 in my 103 great cam.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Use the S&s 583 for good midrange in your application.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 PM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

My 103 heads are milled and I'm running .030 MLS gaskets to further raise compression a little.

The 204 has timing that helps with dynamic compression ratio better than the stock HO cams. That's probably why compression releases are installed in stock heads. 204's change all that on start up.

I have other friends running 204's in 103 engines with no comp releases and no problems either.

Experience trumps trying to be an expert when you don't know what you're talking about

Good lord.

Last edited by leafman60; 11-19-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: more cams.....