Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Spargo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine cooling?

I have stock 2016 low rider s. Theres more heat coming from it than i want. What can you guys tell about the best cooling devices and what i need? Thanks

Old 07-08-2018, 02:31 PM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

is it tuned at all? i know my t max cooled mine down quite a bit.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:47 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

These bigger inch Twin Cam's run too hot for their own good and improving engine cooling isn't a single magic bullet, but rather a step by step methodical approach involving great tuning, free flowing exhausts, free flowing A/C's venting hot crankcase gasses back to atmosphere, oil coolers, permanent oil filters for increased oil flow rates and lower parasitic load, relocating the oil filter, a tank lift providing added air flow to the heads, coil relocations to improve air flow to the rear cylinder, Wards fans, and cam changes to remove the 'EPA' cams. Each brings cooling to the table and it's a layering application of some or most of these modifications that will lower engine temperatures.

I've done all of these except fans and a coil relocation; my engine temperatures are much lower now, compared to stock.

DK Custom has a two part report on engine cooling that you should read:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/why-...cl-tc-dn-1.htm

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/why-...cl-tc-dn-2.htm

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (07-10-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 04:21 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 604 Likes on 326 Posts

Check out our crotch cooler to put a barrier between you and the heat ..

Old 07-08-2018, 04:47 PM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
These bigger inch Twin Cam's run too hot for their own good and improving engine cooling isn't a single magic bullet, but rather a step by step methodical approach involving great tuning, free flowing exhausts, free flowing A/C's venting hot crankcase gasses back to atmosphere, oil coolers, permanent oil filters for increased oil flow rates and lower parasitic load, relocating the oil filter, a tank lift providing added air flow to the heads, coil relocations to improve air flow to the rear cylinder, Wards fans, and cam changes to remove the 'EPA' cams. Each brings cooling to the table and it's a layering application of some or most of these modifications that will lower engine temperatures.

I've done all of these except fans and a coil relocation; my engine temperatures are much lower now, compared to stock.

DK Custom has a two part report on engine cooling that you should read:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/why-...cl-tc-dn-1.htm

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/why-...cl-tc-dn-2.htm
Thanks for the suggestions & links - will be looking into these!

Old 07-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

The sad thing about Harley is you have spend an extra 1,500.00 to get these things to run right.
Gut the catalytic convertor in the head pipe it. All the cat does is generate excessive heat!
I gutted the cat out of the stock pipe & added a Andrews 48 cam & a Power Vision tuner from Fuel Moto.
The bike runs a lot cooler now. The cam helps the engine breath better & the extra fuel makes a world of difference.

Last edited by Chicago Ken; 07-09-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:25 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,960 Posts

Cat "delete".

Old 07-09-2018, 06:32 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Cat "delete".
Oh, ya think? How you still have an account on this forum astounds me; you feckless cat killing piece of filth. On the forums I moderate you would have received the ban hammer long ago. The mods here are as useless as you are...

Old 07-09-2018, 08:17 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,107 Likes on 1,921 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Ken
The sad thing about Harley is you have spend an extra 1,500.00 to get these things to run right.
Gut the catalytic convertor in the head pipe it. All the cat does is generate excessive heat!
I gutted the cat out of the stock pipe & added a Andrews 48 cam & a Power Vision tuner from Fuel Moto.
The bike runs a lot cooler now. The cam helps the engine breath better & the extra fuel makes a world of difference.
that is not the fault of HD but due to EPA regs.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 AM
Spike_351
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Oh, ya think? How you still have an account on this forum astounds me; you feckless cat killing piece of filth. On the forums I moderate you would have received the ban hammer long ago. The mods here are as useless as you are...
that seems a little harsh just for a comment....

Quick Reply: Engine cooling?