Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Idle at start Dyna FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Thund3rbolt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle at start Dyna FXDB

2008 Dyna Street Bob FXDB EFI
K&N Filter
Vannce and Hines Slip ons

I'm getting a high idle at first start for the day. It's starts fine but idles at around 3000 rpm and doesn't fall until I turn the key off and wait 10-20 seconds and restart and then everything is exactly as it should be. Idle drops to where it should be within a couple of seconds. I tried cleaning the IAC as suggested in several forums but that did nothing and I really didn't see anything in the way of dirt or grime during the cleaning. To me it seems like the ECM is enriching the fuel mix and won't correct itself till the system is restarted again. The bike runs okay for the most part aside from a bit lean ie lugs a bit and weak climbing hills on low end as well as decel pops on the downhill but high is fine so really not suspecting a vacuum leak at this point. Anyone had this happen? Seems strange I need to restart the bike to get the idle where it should be and nothing else works... even the kill switch does nothing to change it. This is the old have you tried turning it off and on again thing.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:37 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,371 Likes on 2,378 Posts

A coworker had the same thing on a touring bike, the shop changed the TPS and after the TPS got dialed in he didn't have the problem. Have you added a tuner? A dealershipship will retune but the dealership will tune to the EPA requirements set by law.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:58 AM
Thund3rbolt
Novice

No tuner or dyno so just stock ecm with those mods... I really would like to put a tuner on or have it tuned in but $$ is tight these days. I'm in Canada so no EPA and pretty much free to set them up how we like here. I'll try swapping out the tps which is cheap and easy to see if that makes a difference. I originally thought it might be be the problem but started reading the forums on IAC and vacuum leaks...

Old 08-18-2018, 02:39 PM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

So you took an already lean bike from the factory and now it breathes even more.....I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a tubing issue. Most vehicles intake and exhaust are fine for stock tubing but Harley is NOT the case. You can try and do a hard reset and undo the battery but it's probably just not sure what to do with the air it's moving now.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:13 PM
Thund3rbolt
Novice

I bought the bike 3rd hand from someone that bought it from a US Seller then imported it. Seller to me claimed it was a stage 1 but that was a lie since it wasn't tuned for those changes. Still... it ran decent regardless but just recently developed this issue at first start. Disconnected the battery but that doesn't seem to have helped. I do think it might be a TPS issue or a IAT but I hate throwing money at something blindly in the hopes it solves the problem. I saw a thread from member @iclick who was having the same issue https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...le-issues.html so going to send him a message and see if he solved it.

Last edited by Thund3rbolt; 08-18-2018 at 08:15 PM.