Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind protection options

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Harley-Indian
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Really like my HD clip on. Easy on. Easy off.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 AM
RoadDog41
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a Memphis Shades Batwing. It is a quick detach as it was first intended for the colder months, but I find myself leaving it on longer and longer now because the ride is so comfortable. I have been able to wear a hat bill forward so there is no buffeting to speak of.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:47 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,222 Likes on 4,772 Posts

In the past I have found Windvest shields to be very effective. They are small and easy to put on or remove. That said, they are a bit pricey but worth it in my opinion.
http://www.windvest.com/products/products.html

Old 05-13-2019, 04:03 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,854 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Another fan of Windvest. I put mine on in March 2000 the morning I took off from Central Nebraska heading to Daytona for Bikeweek. After 15 yrs of riding the FXRS without any kind of windbreak, it took a little getting used to. It was unusually warm in Nebraska at that time, due to a big "warm air" flow coming onto to the prairie from the South. When I took off, I was running straight South and directly into a 25+ mph blustery wind. My original plan was to only run the Windvest on long trips. I figured I'd take advantage of the ease of removal ( 2 allen screws and it's off) and leave it off the bike otherwise. That was 19 yrs ago, and I haven't taken it off yet. After that first 1000 mi or so, heading for Daytona...it dawned on me that nothing was hitting me in the face...and I wasn't feeling any wind pressure on my chest.
Note to DMonger...your helmet's too loose. Try wearing a bandana wrap on your head under the helmet to "snug it up".
Eye protection: I finally bit the bullet and bought dedicated prescription eyewear for roadtrips. My choice was Wiley Rx. They have the (removable) foam liners and do a great job of keeping the wind from drying out my eyes on long rides at interstate speeds. Even with the Windvest, with my everyday street glasses a long day riding would leave me with dry, irritated eyes. I'm 69 yrs old...that might have something to do with that, but the Wiley's really help.

The following users liked this post:
5500 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 05:27 AM
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Very happy with the MS Batwing I installed on my Switchback but it alone did not solve buffeting. Windshield height is critical. Top of fairing/shield should be no higher than your nose (as already posted). Also learned that after mounting a shield, airflow below the shield is critical to reducing buffeting (why fork bags help). Added MS extenders to the lower edges of the fairing and it helped quite a bit. In the colder months I ride with an HD 3/4 helmet with full face shield and it provides great protection (much better than my much more expensive aero designed full face automotive helmet at 1/3 the cost). Agree with everything said about glasses. Picked up 2 pair of cheap ($25) gasketed glasses at the dealership... one polarized and one clear for night riding. Huge difference in keeping eyes free of debris and wind.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:49 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

You could always make your own front lowers with a couple pieces of Lexan, cut to shape, from Lowes/Home Depot, a small L bracket of aluminum for each side, and a couple pipe clamps. It will push the wind/air from around the forks to out and away instead of up under the windshield and into you. Total cost for parts should be less than $20, and probably less than $10. You could also mount a piece under the triple tree to push the air down on the engine instead of up. That should eliminate the buffeting.