Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 fxd mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 06:12 PM
Pdan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 fxd mods

Hey yall

i have a 2000 fxd with about 25k miles. I’m about to take it to the shop for a full tune up, and I bought an Arlen ness stage one big sucker.

I want to eventually add new exhaust to get sound and performance gains, but I don’t have the funds right now.

my question is, with the Arlen ness and carb tune will there be noticeable power increase without exhaust upgrade? Also I’ve heard alot About debaffling stock exhaust and how it can make it sound better, but it could lose horse power. Any recommendations on that?

thanks

Old 06-27-2021, 07:36 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 548 Likes on 386 Posts

1. No
2. Generally, leave baffle in for low RPM torque.

Your bike will probably run better with the full tune up.
But, the Big Sucker and will make you feel you've gained 20hp.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:17 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Pdan.. If you take the baffles out you'll loose some pull, I have V&H straight shots and they're loud, but adding the torque inserts woke it up more. The big air is a gain but also adjust your carburetor, if it is an indy mechanic he can do the adjustment in his/her sleep easily... 195 main 45 to 8 pilot jet air adjustment turned out 2 and a half to 3 turns....

Post a pic of your bike.... Need ideas
​​​​​​.
But good luck with what you do.. It's a fun process

Old 06-27-2021, 09:36 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,225 Likes on 753 Posts

This is 2021. Tune Up???? Like . . . change the spark plugs, adjust the points and timing. Those days are long gone. Change yer own spark plugs. Ya got electronic ignition that does not need to be touched. Get a pair of plugs and some new spark plug cables and forget the "Tune Up." Harley's are EPA friendly. With OEM mufflers (which are EPA Compliant,) there is more than enough restriction in the exhaust. Punch out them damn baffles, it ain't gonna hurt a damn thing. Adjust the carb mixture screw out 1/4-1/2 out to get rid of the EPA Compliant overly LEAN air/fuel mixture. Do a Test Ride after the new plugs n cables, carb adjustment are on with the baffles punched out. NOW you WILL feel some improvement in the performance . . . . AND it didn't cost an arm n leg to do it.

The following users liked this post:
KK560 (07-01-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 09:49 PM
Pdan
6th Gear

Haha I’ve replaced plugs and wires. I’m getting someone to adjust carb with the new air intake to get rid of backfiring and choking up at the carb.

The following users liked this post:
DG422 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 06:37 AM
Pdan
6th Gear

Originally Posted by robarosa
1. No
2. Generally, leave baffle in for low RPM torque.

Your bike will probably run better with the full tune up.
But, the Big Sucker and will make you feel you've gained 20hp.

so your saying I won’t really notice any power increase from the big sucker? Like it’s all placebo? Lol

Old 06-28-2021, 06:45 AM
Pdan
6th Gear

Originally Posted by REW13
Pdan.. If you take the baffles out you'll loose some pull, I have V&H straight shots and they're loud, but adding the torque inserts woke it up more. The big air is a gain but also adjust your carburetor, if it is an indy mechanic he can do the adjustment in his/her sleep easily... 195 main 45 to 8 pilot jet air adjustment turned out 2 and a half to 3 turns....

Post a pic of your bike.... Need ideas
​​​​​​.
But good luck with what you do.. It's a fun process

so far I’ve done t bars, daymaker headlight, upside down mirrors, MX style foot pegs, saddlemen step up seat, saddlemen bags, low profile turn signals

next up is air intake, 2 into 1 exhaust, Memphis shades fairing and some kind of lower profile rear brake light solution

Old 06-28-2021, 08:10 AM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 548 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdan
so your saying I won’t really notice any power increase from the big sucker? Like it’s all placebo? Lol
The TC88 is a good, cool running engine/motor. It will suck in what it can push out. The open sucking sounds might make you think you can take on a 103. But, in all reality, by itself, it's all show and no go. To have noticeable power increase with the 8(something[maybe 9]):1 compression ration you'll need;
- Better flowing single pipe exhaust.
- Andrews 21 or S&S 509 cam, Those are the cams the TC88 likes.
- Big Sucker
- Rejet

hth

edit 1: The Big Sucker looks cool, but if the air cleaner backing plate is still installed, taking that off help as much.

edit 2: The advice I have is from the - "been there / done that". Thought I'd search around and give some others ideas on your direction. You can search around for TC88 HP increase. hth
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...88ci-tips.html

Last edited by robarosa; 06-28-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:38 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Looking good sir... Is that the stock front end? Doesn't look like a 39mm

Old 06-28-2021, 11:24 AM
Pdan
6th Gear

Originally Posted by robarosa
The TC88 is a good, cool running engine/motor. It will suck in what it can push out. The open sucking sounds might make you think you can take on a 103. But, in all reality, by itself, it's all show and no go. To have noticeable power increase with the 8(something[maybe 9]):1 compression ration you'll need;
- Better flowing single pipe exhaust.
- Andrews 21 or S&S 509 cam, Those are the cams the TC88 likes.
- Big Sucker
- Rejet

hth

edit 1: The Big Sucker looks cool, but if the air cleaner backing plate is still installed, taking that off help as much.

edit 2: The advice I have is from the - "been there / done that". Thought I'd search around and give some others ideas on your direction. You can search around for TC88 HP increase. hth
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...88ci-tips.html

Great resource thank you! I will probably take it one step at a time. I don’t need a whole lot of power, but I rode my buddies 96in heritage and noticed it had way more top end than mine. Mine starts straining in the low 80s and his just feels like it’s getting warmed up

Quick Reply: 2000 fxd mods