Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wideglide conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:22 PM
lewistg
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wideglide conversion

hello all. i have another post in the past on this issue but was not totally satisfied. i want to do the conversion on my 05 fxd. thanks for your concern in advance, but rake and trail is not a concern for me. I am thinking of a 3 deg to push out the wheel a little. My only concern is, will it lower my front too much to where I will have to lower the rear? My frame unladen in the front is 6" and the rear is 5.75". Also, raked or not, where can I find the best deals, and what did you learn from the conversion that could benefit me ie. a different headlight, bearing stops, handlbar mounting etc. any advice is appreciated thanks.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Default RE: wideglide conversion

I guess I'm not 100% clear on what is considered a wideglide "conversion"
In my mind a conversion means the entire front end is on it's way out, completely replaced with a new one.
Others will just change the trees, keep the tubes, and add spacers here and there.
If you are thinking about this - then you must have a starting point and some starting parts in mind?

Since you asked - here is what I learned:

1) A high quality Torx bit will be requred to loosen the existing trees from the tubes. You'll shred a cheap one in 2 seconds.
2) go 2" over stock length - especially if you bump out the front with some rake (which some argue that you shouldn't do - but that's another thread ), even if you don't add to the rake the extra length does not hurt a bit.
3) The "little" things - stops, spacers, etc. are going to cost 2X what you think.
4) you REALLY need to know what you're buying.
5) You will need a new lower head bearing - old one will not come off the t-stem
6) If friends offer to help - that really means they are out of beer and want to drink yours while they watch you work

Old 08-10-2007, 04:50 PM
lewistg
Cruiser
Default RE: wideglide conversion

I meant a triple tree conversion to a wideglide.