Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Low Rider

Old 04-28-2024, 11:25 PM
A Klaver
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008 Low Rider

My first Harley, bought used, Road the bike 4 times and was attempting to ride it to work on one of our rare North east early spring days.
I got half way to work and my rear Brake caliper Locked up, I road it enough to get off the highway, but by the time I got to a safe place and got off my bike the Caliper burst into flames. ( Yeah frigging HOT )
I purchased a used Caliper but it needs a rebuild kit, every where I look the 08-17 rear brake caliper complete rebuild with pistons are out of stock. I mean everywhere even Harley doesn't have them, I didn't even see a new rear Caliper on the Harley web sight only the front.
Does anyone have any Idea where I can get a complete rebuild kit for the rear Caliper double piston?. The only numbers on the Caliper are either 2232J or Z232J cant quit make out the first digit if it's a Z or a 2 on top,... on the front it says 2 5 but in between the 2 and 5 is a symbol that reads I93 inside a circle.
Please excuse my ignorance this is my first Harley
I am mechanically inclined enough to know that I will have to take off the rear rotor and purchase a new one I'm sure it's warped as it's a solid Rotor and not a floating rotor. I also know I'll have to check the Hub and bearings because of the Heat. I just need to know where I could find a rebuild kit with pistons.
Any help would be great appreciated
Andy

Old 04-29-2024, 07:48 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,147 Likes on 680 Posts

Pretty sure I have a '17 rear caliper in my shop with new pads in it. LMK if you're interested.

Old 04-29-2024, 09:18 AM
A Klaver
6th Gear

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
Pretty sure I have a '17 rear caliper in my shop with new pads in it. LMK if you're interested.
Yes I am very interested, let me know what information you need from me.
Thank you very much
Andy

Old 05-07-2024, 11:29 PM
A Klaver
6th Gear

Shout out to Snake Eyes,
The Caliper I received from you works perfectly and looks bran new.
Thanks again
Andy

The following 5 users liked this post by A Klaver:
mte78 (05-08-2024), s-glide76 (05-09-2024), snake_eyes (05-08-2024), Tommy C (05-08-2024), TownesVanZandt (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:07 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,147 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by A Klaver
Shout out to Snake Eyes,
The Caliper I received from you works perfectly and looks bran new.
Thanks again
Andy
Glad to hear it. Ride safe brother.

The following users liked this post:
A Klaver (05-08-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 08:55 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,002 Likes on 3,409 Posts

Sometimes before you go into an issue with the caliper you should check the condition of your fluid... When moisture gets into the brake fluid because it's very hydroscopic it will actually suspend itself in the fluid and as the bike is driven the friction on the pads creates a heat that will go into the fluid and expand it even more causing the pads to be applied I've had this happen and all's that really needs to be done is a flush on brake fluid system.. If it does ever happen to me on the road I like to carry tools so I can always just pop the bleeder and relieve the pressure in the caliper and I could be on my way again for a little while at least to get me home...

Old 05-21-2024, 11:40 PM
A Klaver
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Sometimes before you go into an issue with the caliper you should check the condition of your fluid... When moisture gets into the brake fluid because it's very hydroscopic it will actually suspend itself in the fluid and as the bike is driven the friction on the pads creates a heat that will go into the fluid and expand it even more causing the pads to be applied I've had this happen and all's that really needs to be done is a flush on brake fluid system.. If it does ever happen to me on the road I like to carry tools so I can always just pop the bleeder and relieve the pressure in the caliper and I could be on my way again for a little while at least to get me home...
The original problem was I purchased the bike from an older gentlemen, well older than me I'm 55, he assured me everything was flushed and or changed. My first error was believing him, my second error was riding the bike before I went over everything and I know better but I took his word for it.
AT some point the previous owner mixed DOT4 fluid with DOT5 fluid which is a huge no no. The mixing of fluids can cause beads of silicone to turn hard and clog fluid transfer, and that's exactly what happened, causing the master cylinder return port to clog.
Since then I have pulled both wheels off changed the bearings because they were rusted, changed all fluids, pulled off the primary cover and checked the tensioner, I also checked the cam chain tension and tensioner, everything else was in good order no wear on the tensioners yet. After pulling the bike apart and putting it back together I feel more confident and understand the bike much more

Last edited by A Klaver; 05-21-2024 at 11:47 PM.
98hotrodfatboy (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 03:36 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,002 Likes on 3,409 Posts

Yeah sometimes it's tough when you buy a used bike and you want to believe the person and you trust them and then that happens. I guess the good thing about it though is you were able to go over your bike and get in tune with it, which is important.. As time goes on you'll get more comfortable with what everything should be so if the slightest thing does occur, You'll know right away..
Glad to hear it's all good.. Ride safe..

A Klaver (05-22-2024)