Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna low rider VS Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:31 AM
bigwhisk2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna low rider VS Sporty

I'm getting ready to purchase my 1st Harley. I haven't had a lot of riding experience but thats another story. I'm told that the Sportster even in the low version is top heavy and that the center of gravity on a Dyna Low Rider is much much better. Please help. I want to make the right decision.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 AM
rambobob
Tourer
Default RE: Dyna low rider VS Sporty

Seems like people trade up from sporties pretty quick after purchase.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:45 AM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I started with a sportster, rode it for a year, then traded it for a low rider. It cost me less to get started but more in the long run. The low rider is a more comfortable ride and it does seem to have a lower center of gravity. On the other hand, I had no problem starting out with the sportster. The sportster is a little smaller and lighter. I don't think the main issue is the center of gravity. It really is more about how much you want to spend and how certain you are you want to stay in motorcycling long term.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:45 AM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rambobob

Seems like people trade up from sporties pretty quick after purchase.
+1

The best way I can describe the difference between the 2 bikes.....

Sporty you ride ON..

Dyna you ride IN..

Respects,
Ed

Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi I started out on a Sportster and I loved it - but being a big SOB my wife made me trade up to a Dyna Convertible as it 'fitted' me better. Actually I found the Sportster to be a bit more nimble and better handling than the Big Twin. Also in those days the Sporty didn't suffer so much with two setting brakes the Big Twins had - either on sliding down the road or off.

Finally here in the UK I found there to be an amount of inverted snobery between those male Harley owners who road Sportsters and those who rode Big Twins - definitely an uncomfortable undercurrent.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:55 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I find the Low easier to ride. I like it for two up and for highway riding. There is nothing wrong with a sporty. They are great bikes. I just need something more comfortable. You cannot go wrong with the Low Rider or Sporty. You must ask yourself what are you going to use it for and where will you ride. City or Highway.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:02 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Skip 'em both and get a Touring model. You will love being able to carry more than a pocket comb for gear.

No kidding.....Yesterday, I was at a gas station taking a break when a guy pulled in on a Sporty. He came in got a can of Dr. Pepper, went out and strapped it to the back of his seat with two bungee cords. I would have love to have gotten a pic of that.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:46 AM
jskelington
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

Skip 'em both and get a Touring model. You will love being able to carry more than a pocket comb for gear.

No kidding.....Yesterday, I was at a gas station taking a break when a guy pulled in on a Sporty. He came in got a can of Dr. Pepper, went out and strapped it to the back of his seat with two bungee cords. I would have love to have gotten a pic of that.
That's funny.
That mighta been me except for the sportster part and the fact that I drink Coke. If I really need a windshield and storage I take the Jeep. To each his own.
Don't underestimate the power of the bungee.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 AM
simsjam
Cruiser

It depends on what you intend to do. The Sportster is lighter anddoes good in tight curves. It has a smaller motor but it has a good horsepower to weight ratio but a TINY gas tank. It does get the best gas mileage of all Harley models and it is a good learner bike. It is uncomfortable to ride long distance on the highway. I had my Sportster for a year before I traded for a Dyna and was much happier.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:39 AM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

came off a 1200 sporty custom to a 07 street bob, after riding the bob for several weeks i would start the sporty and ride it just to keep it fresh and couldn't believe how top heavy it felt i had trouble doing the simplest manuevers on the darn thing, i would go with the low rider if i was you
freebyrd

Quick Reply: Dyna low rider VS Sporty