Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Blackwater
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about bars

Ok, so I just got a new 2008 Street Bob and am starting to do the obligatory mods. So far (no grief here, I just got it) I have done 11 inch Progressive shocks in black, LePera Bare Bones seat, tank lift and a laydown license plate bracket from HDForums member Hog_Rida.

My next move is to go with some black ape hangers (bike is vivid black) to change up the look a bit. Here is my question:I really like "bent ape hangers" from BR Customs, but I will need to go with new cables (an additional cost) and then have it rewired (an even greater cost in labor alone). It's the look I'm going for (and I would like to go higher on the bars), but the cost alone is starting to become a major factor.

I then noticed the bars from Roland Sands that are black and 12 inches (supposedly the same size as the "mini apes" on the 2008 Bob). These bars aren't drilled for internal wiring so I'm wondering if I can get away with these bars to change the look but use all of my existing cables to save cash. I mean I'm supposedly looking at swapping 12 inch bars for 12 inch bars so it shouldn't be a problem, but damn if those Roland Sands bars don't look much taller than the stock bars from Harley.

Has anyone used these Roland Sands bars? If so, did you need new cables or did you simply swap them out? Does anyone have any input on this? I like the BR Customs better, but for the cost savings, I could easily go with the Roland Sands. With that in mind though, I don't want to order the Roland Sands bars just to save money and discover my little plan won't work and then need to buy cables for a set of bars that would have been second choice if I needed new cables anyway. Please help!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
jpdubbs
Intermediate
Default RE: Question about bars

Blackwater,

I have not dealt with these bars. However I do relate to the issue. I'm trying to change the bars on my RG. The same mind bust is going on. I need the controls closer to me. Some bars will work with the cables but I do not know for sure if the controls will be close enoughwith them. I doknowsome bars that will definetely bring the controls muchcloser andwill requrie new cables. BUT I will not know exactly how any new bars will help my riding position. I can not ride the bike long distance with the stock bars because my neck burns so bad I want to ride off a cliff. SO, my issue is function and I will have to go with the most logical choice. This is, buy new cables and make sure the first time I'm gettingthe controlsas close as I can to sit straight and relax my arms.

WOW I think I just figured out my sh**!!!

Well, I just wanted to offer some response since no one responded yet and you have most likely been checking the post for something.

If you are going for looks only, I say keep the stock cables and take it easy on the wallet and if you wantthe othersbad enough you will just owe the man for what you want.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Cornbread
Advanced

I don't know anything about these bars but,if all (rise, width and pullback) the dimensions are the same then your cables should be fine. My advise is don't settle, just save your money and wait. I don't know if you are doing the work yourself, but if you are there are a lot of choices you can make to save yourself some dough. For instance, rather than running by wires internally, I wet to the local autozone and fone some mesh stuff like Harley uses to cover the cables only this stuff is chrome looking, only $3.00. I matched it up with some wire chrome clips out of custom chrome for another $5.00 and my wire look great. See pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21973/F64F75D80A224CC79A009A168EBEF141.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 AM
jpdubbs
Intermediate

Cornbread,

I can not get enough of these tips on stuff found at legal prices and that work so well. Thanks for the pic and tip.