Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slight master cylinder leak ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Nickrom32
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slight master cylinder leak ??

I notice yesterday some fluid coming from the master cylinder while riding, I bought a new gasget, do I need to do anything else when I change the gasget????

Thanks in advance Nick

Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 PM
rewog
Advanced
Default RE: slight master cylinder leak ??

Nick, the same thing happened to me on my 07 LR following a service by HD. If it looks like it is coming out of a small hole where the top & bottom meet, either the top wasn't replaced right or the gasket is bad, or both. My dealer replaced the gasket & top because he said fluid had gotten on the paint and would remove it.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:49 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,350 Likes on 2,370 Posts

Look at the cover and get some new brake fluid, whatever DOT requirement you have. Then flush your front brake with fresh fluid. Stop flushing when you see the new clean fluid going into the catch/collection jar from the caliper. Then install the new gasket.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the gasket and when putting the cover back on, just tweak it down so it's tight, but not too tight. Watch it for a bit. Should be okay. If not, tighten it another half turn each screw. It will be fine.

I am assuming from your photo, your bike is at least an 07 - I don't believe your fluid would be dirty enough to worry about flushing yet.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Nickrom32
Cruiser

thanks for the info, it is an 07 with only about 1000 miles on it

Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: flynavy

Replace the gasket and when putting the cover back on, just tweak it down so it's tight, but not too tight. Watch it for a bit. Should be okay. If not, tighten it another half turn each screw. It will be fine.

I am assuming from your photo, your bike is at least an 07 - I don't believe your fluid would be dirty enough to worry about flushing yet.
+1. I had the same problem on mine after the dealer changed my bars and cranked the **** out of the screws that hold the cover on. I didn't have to replace the gasket but I had to remove the cover, reset the gasket, and tighten it down until there appeared to be even pressure all around. You just want the gasket to seal, it doesn't have to be any tighter than that. After doing that, I had to adjust both screws a half turn tighter twice until I finally got it to quit leaking completely. Seems to be fine now.

By the way, whatever you do, be careful not to let any of that brake fluid get on anything, especially your paint. Stuff is like acid I hear. If it gets on anything, including the outside of the master cylinder, get it off ASAP.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 AM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the problem with mine, it leaked. After replacing the gasket, it still leaked.... so the dealer looked at it and said the cover had warped and replaced it. It's fine now.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
sarg0406
Advanced

My 07 Lowrider had same problem, one day when I was at dealer I brought it up to the service writer, he asked my how long I would be there and said Harley had a new style cover and gasket to repair this problem....................he took my scoot into the shop and pulled it back out 20 minutes later..................has been fine ever since and didn't cost a dime..........................

Old 06-03-2008, 01:13 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm also experiencing that on my '07 wg. Seems to happen more when it's warm. I reseated the gasket and still experienced a little leaking. I maybe have tightened it back down too much as the gasket is squeezing out from under the cover. I may reseat the gasket and re-tighten it. Maybe use some mild thread lock to keep the screws from backing out while riding.

Just read the message above from sarg...not a bad idea to contact my dealer. Only sucky part is that it's at least an hour ride in any direction to hit one. The one I bought my bike from has just been sold. No longer a 'mom and pop' dealer. Harley was forcing them to move closer to the interstate (I-95) and they refused so Harley forced them to sell so now the new owner should be in the process of acquiring the land and setting the new construction in play. I'll miss the old owners. They didn't pressure me or anything. I like that about dealers. Hate when they ride your *** with "can I help you", etc. Makes me feel like they're afraid I'll steal something so they're following me around the store.