Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Gromit
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire recommendations?

I'm coming up for 5000 miles on the bike now so am really looking to get the tires replaced soon as the rear especially is looking a little tired (sorry!).

I don't want to replace the 401's with the same rubber as I really don't like them. They're 'ok' in the dry, but are really not funny in the wet. I did a brisk overtake the other day on semi-wet roads and got wheelspin...in 3rd gear.

So...

I've got these two types in mind; either Bridgestone BT45 or Metzeler ME880 Marathon. My main priority is grip and am not too worried if they only last 3-4000 miles, as the bike gets ridden pretty hard. Thanks for any input guys

Old 03-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Hooper
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire recommendations?

I have Metzeler ME880 Marathon on my Heritage. I really like them alot. I ride alot in the North Georgia mountains with no problem. I will not use another tire.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Gromit
Advanced

Thanks Hooper - sounds like a plan in that case

I do like the look of the Metzes, and have used their sports tyres for many years on other bikes. The tread pattern's cool too - which is obviously of vital importance

Old 03-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Eastern Performance
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had nothing but good responses to the Metzeler ME880's. In the past year, they have really taken off with Harley riders. The number of metzelers we sell now compared to the Dunlops is amazing. All of our custom bikes ride on Metzelers, and we suggest them to every customer walking through the door.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Gromit
Advanced

Thanks Chris - reckon that's a good enough recommendation for me.

All I need to do now is be brave enough to get the rear wheel out of my bike (I'm worried about getting the belt tension correct on re-install). Done it 100's of times on chain/shaft drives but never on an HD. [&:]

Old 03-16-2006, 02:17 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed the rear tire on my '04 this winter to a Metzler from the stock Dunlop at 7,000 miles. Although there is still a decent amount of tread left on the Dunlop, I figured that the tire would have to be changed this riding season and why not do it when the snow is flying? Went with a 160 mm tire instead of the stock 150mm, fit on the rim with no problem. The front will be the next one to go in the near future.

The nice thing is that they don't have a circular tread pattern that gets stuck in rain grooved pavement, which can be dicey at high speed. They're suppose to be as wearable as the stock tires and provide a much better ride, which I can't vouch for just yet.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:33 PM
jhampshire
Advanced

Dunlop tires for H-D are slick as snot. I got the Metzeler 880 from Eastern (great price and free shipping) Don't worry about getting the tension right. Just wax the swingarm then put a tiny dot of appliance paint or fingernail polish to mark the spot(s). After the job is done, flick the stuff off. Works every time. An alternate method is to put tape on the swingarm to indicate the axle nut position. I don't think the dealer mechanic does more than eyeball it anyway. I've had great luck with German tires in the past. Had a set of Continental tires once that needed no balance weights at all.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Gromit
Advanced

Thanks all

JH - 'Slick as snot'... I like that LOL

Thanks also for the heads-up re getting the belt tension correct. Saves paying my dealer good money to just remove/re-fit the rear wheel when I should be able to do it myself. All I need now is a liftnig device (or I'll use a trolley jack and do it one wheel at a time).

So, ME880's it is.