Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobtail Conversion Accessories Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM
evhunter
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bobtail Conversion Accessories Question

Howdy! I'm brand new here (and to the HD world). I just acquired a 1999 FXDX with some custom work done to it. It currently has a Brawler solo seat on it. I want to put a 2-up on it, plus sissy bar, pad, luggage rack, and saddle bags (not all the time of course). The previous owner had the bobtail rear fender conversion put on it, though.

Question: Should I be searching for wide glide (FXDWG) accessories mentioned above or regular Super Glide accessories? Calls to a couple HD dealers in the state only caused further confusion (I got both answers). Figured I better get to the guys who know....the fanatics! I belong to a couple off-roading forums (truck stuff), so I kinda know the drill. I did do a quick search here with no luck.

For now, I'm just going with standard HD products....easy to find...readily available...used....from ebay, etc. So, what side plates, sissy bars, racks, even seats should I be looking for?

Much thanks!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM
thomaskray
Road Master

If it's just a stock WG fender, pretty much everything is the same except the struts are about an inch longer, and 2 up seats require a longer bracket. sisy bars, sideplates, and all that jazz should be the same. Luggage racks are obviously different with the differnet shaped fenders.

I put a 2002 bobtail fender on my FXD. had to make a longer bracket for my badlander seat to bolt on. The sissy bar and sideplates matched right up (even though i didn't put those back on after the conversion.) My saddlebags worked just fine.

However, now when I'm searhing for rear end stuff, I check for fitment on an FXDWG.

Last edited by thomaskray; 03-11-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
evhunter
Stage II

Originally Posted by thomaskray
sisy bars, sideplates, and all that jazz should be the same.
OK...sorry for the redundancy. Just super new at this. Did you mean the same as FXDX, or the same as the seat (requiring a different part)?

Dunno if it is a stock WG fender. All I know is he called it a bobtail conversion (all bobtails come from WG's?...again...don't know).

Basically, do I need FXDX sideplates or FXDWG sideplates? Also, I want the Sundowner deep bucket seat, and I need to know if I need the special extra bracket for the FXDWG or not (which fits supposedly perfectly on FXDX without the bracket...so either way, I can order that seat now). The HD sissy bar etc. I'm looking at are the same part numbers either way, so I can order them.

I know I want the bobtail-shaped luggage rack anyway, so no problem there. The sideplates have me confused at this point.

Thanks again everyone!!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM
thomaskray
Road Master

If you're unsure, do like I do with the bobtail conversion... Order stuff that fits the part your bolting it to.

In yours and my case FXDWG for seats, sissy bars, sideplates, and such.