Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Switch Caps

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 03:56 PM
cnewty
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Switch Caps

Let me start by saying, what a tedious pain in the a**. And that was just the clutch side. Cant wait to get into the throttle side. Any helpful hints?

Old 04-27-2006, 04:05 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Chrome Switch Caps

Only 2. First off, take your time removing the idle and throttle cables from the throttle grip, those little brass ferrules are hard to find once they pop off the cable ends. 2) Buy an extra ferrule or 2 because if they do pop off and get lost, it's better to have a spare and not need it than be stuck w/o one (or two) Take it from experience, this is one extra part you should have.

One last suggestion, is that if you are ever thinking about changing your grips from the stock black, this is the perfect time to do it so you don't have to remove the throttle again, and go buy the little ferrules that you probably will need and not have, unless you've followed recommendation #2.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

be especially careful not to pinch any wires between clamp and handlebar. If you pinch one, you'll blow a couple fuzes before you realize that you need to take it apart again and repair the damaged wire. Don't ask how I know this.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

I can tell you that on the brake side there is a little ( v clip or something ) that's between the brake lever and the brake light switch, careful not to lose it and remember to put it back in I lost mine and ended up gluing a piece of a credit card to the inside of the lever! Sucked!!! Now on my new bike I said no to all that and had the dealer install the clutch bracket, master cylinder, switch covers, switch caps and grips, didn't wanna lose anymore hair [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 04-27-2006, 10:06 PM
dyna2319
Tourer

I also can attest to the thing about nicking the wires you will have a short and all the lights wil not function. One thing that worked well for me was on the throttle cables put the short one in first and then the longer one. And it is a pain to do this the idea about the grips is a good one too. You may want to check in the manual to see if you need a wedge in the brake lever to get it back together again.

Hog 2319
06 FXWGI

Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 AM
864Lamar
1st Gear

Greetings from Fountain Inn SC. I have a 2010 Dyna Super Glide. I was replacing the Factory handlbar switch caps with a chrome set. I completed the left assembly without much of a problem. I have replaced all of the caps on the right assembly, but I noticed while the housing was open and dangling that a clip has fallen out from somewhere in the housing. I'm not sure if this was simply a spacer of some sort or if it is used to complete some type of connection. Because now, even manually depressing the Front Brake lever switch (To turn off the brake LED), it does not turn it off. The Brake light remians lit all of the time. Also, My blinkers no longer function. I have checked the fuses in the side panel under the seat and do not see any that are blown.

any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 872 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by 864Lamar
Greetings from Fountain Inn SC. I have a 2010 Dyna Super Glide. I was replacing the Factory handlbar switch caps with a chrome set. I completed the left assembly without much of a problem. I have replaced all of the caps on the right assembly, but I noticed while the housing was open and dangling that a clip has fallen out from somewhere in the housing. I'm not sure if this was simply a spacer of some sort or if it is used to complete some type of connection. Because now, even manually depressing the Front Brake lever switch (To turn off the brake LED), it does not turn it off. The Brake light remians lit all of the time. Also, My blinkers no longer function. I have checked the fuses in the side panel under the seat and do not see any that are blown.

any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Check these links for more info:

Brake light issues

Need some help

Brake Light Switch ughhhh

Front Brake Switch Problem

Switch problem

brake light trouble/Need addvice

Brake lever/brake light stuck

front brake lever

Brake switch

Brake switch

Originally Posted by cnewty
Let me start by saying, what a tedious pain in the a**. And that was just the clutch side. Cant wait to get into the throttle side. Any helpful hints?
Check these links for Instruction Sheets on:

71804-03 ...chrome switch cap kit

and

56679-02 ...100th Anniversary handlebar grips

and

70222-96B ...chrome switch housing kit

You'll find more Instruction Sheets in my database (follow link in my signature)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:52 AM
864Lamar
1st Gear

OK, I see from an older post where the clip should be installed. Confused though about why the front brake lever switch no longer turns off the Brake LED when pressed in. Wonder if there are more than one fuse that controls the lights as opposed to the accessories????

Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 AM
864Lamar
1st Gear

Thanks FXD2003Rider!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 872 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by 864Lamar
OK, I see from an older post where the clip should be installed. Confused though about why the front brake lever switch no longer turns off the Brake LED when pressed in. Wonder if there are more than one fuse that controls the lights as opposed to the accessories????
This post https://www.hdforums.com/forum/6758726-post5.html explains how it works...

Quick Reply: Chrome Switch Caps