Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting your Dyna? Clutch engaged or disengaged

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 PM
20LowRider02
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too find that it does tend to pull a little if it's in gear with the clutch pulled. I usually put it in Neutral because it seems not to struggle when starting then. It's really bad when it's hot and I try to start it in gear. If I'm in a hurry then I'll do it either way...if relaxed I'll try to find neutral first.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 AM
lvharley
Intermediate

I have a 2000 customized police bike and it requires me to pull in the clutch to start it. I think the police leave it in gear, pull in the clutch, start and drive away...saves time in chasing those speeders...

Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 AM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the N light means is the light works. The more often then not if the neutral switch is broken it will default to the lit position meaning that the light means next to nothing unless you see the light on and just rolled the bike to make sure its not in gear.

With that in mind, I always have my bike in neutral and always have pull in the lever.

The pants never fall down when you have your belt and suspenders.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 AM
yso191
Club Member

Originally Posted by archergodwin
"N" = start
"gear" = no start
"gear" + clutch = start

There's a reason for that little switch under your clutch handle on the newer bikes.
Weird. I have almost the same bike (08 fxd) and I don't think I have ever started it with the clutch in. I may start now given some of the stories above...

Steve

Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

Ive only once hit tried to start it in gear... But that was because i was trying to hit the turn signal off. But usually i get her in neutral and start with clutch out... But if i try to find neutral and its hard... I usually start with clutch in (even if i eventually found neutral).

Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

I always pull the clutch in as well.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My MSF Starting Habit

FINEC (Acronym)

F= Fuel (since Harlet has no petcock I check the gas guage)
I= Ignition **** on dashboard is on
N= Neutral (green light)
E= Engine cutoff switch (wait for engine light to go off)
C= Clutch in

Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 PM
jblank37
Road Captain

Thanks for all the replys fellows. I have been doing it both ways is why I asked the question. Seeing some of the replys, I believe from now on I will be pulling in the clutch. Thanks to everyone.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
Harley's have no safety disengage do they? If you have it in gear and hit the starter without the clutch, it'll leap forward won't it?
I put it in N and fire, no clutch.
Not sure about all of them, but the 2009 Fat Bob does have a safety switch. It will not turn over (if in gear, and the clutch not pulled in).

Originally Posted by archergodwin
"N" = start
"gear" = no start
"gear" + clutch = start

There's a reason for that little switch under your clutch handle on the newer bikes.
Yep, exactly how my bike works. And also what is listed in the 2009 Dyna owners manual.

Originally Posted by fjm3rd
Well my bike is a 2009 FXD and it got no safety switch. Personally I wish it would but it definitely doesn't have one.
Your bike should have a safety switch.

From the 2009 Dyna Owners Manaul:
To activate the starting system, the clutch interlock circuitry requires that the clutch be disengaged.
The clutch lever must be pulled in against the left handlebar grip and/or the transmission must be shifted to the neutral position (with the green neutral lamp lit).

Having said all that, I still agree with the majority here, and always pull the clutch in, and most of the time shift to neutral.

The following users liked this post:
Czracer (02-26-2023)
Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't read all the posts here , but you always squeeze the clutch to disengage it from the tranny so's you will be taking some strain off of your battery and starter wether it's a bike or a car, or truck for that matter

Quick Reply: Starting your Dyna? Clutch engaged or disengaged