Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Detach Solo Luggage Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmikaele
I know you aren't looking at the motherwell, but if you get a fender bib, you can use thumb screws to mount dismount your bib & motherwell pretty quickly. Then take it all off and show off your new paint. If it is straight black the bib won't contrast and will help protect it from other things (backpacks etc.)
Thats something I think I will look into. How easy or difficult is it to take the motherwell off and is there any way the motherwell can scratch paint? I had never really paid attention to them. I will have to start looking at other bikes the next time I get around the usual places of congregation. I never seem see too many Dynas. Everyone around me seems to have softails and touring bikes and if I do see a Dyna it is a WG.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use the Motherwell, you could probably leave the fender bib on, correct?

Maybe just use a rubber washer under the mounts.

Also, I think even if you spaced the sigs / detach hardware out, it probably isn't as far out as the stock sigs. I believe the stock stalks are about as wide as the detachable mounts.

I have the detachable hardware and it doesn't stick out much.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:28 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...3A1|240%3A1318

This one fits a 2000....isn't that the same frame as the '05?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Y2KFXDman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockon
... [url indicates p/n 53493-95]
This one fits a 2000....isn't that the same frame as the '05?
The 2001 catalog says: Fits '96-later FXD, FXDX, FXDL (Does not fit FXDWG and FXDS-CONV).

In 2002, there was a change in Docking Hardware, but no change in Detachable Sideplates for a 2002 bike. However, there was a change in Sissy Bar Uprights, probably for a change in distance between the sideplates.

In 2006, there was another change in Docking Hardware, this time accompanied with a change in sideplates allowing for use of Softtail Sissy Bar Uprights. The newer Detachable Solo Rack for Dyna Models, p/n 53511-06, fits: '06-later Dyna models equipped with solo seat.

The older rack, p/n 53493-95, is probably a close fit for 2002-2005 non-Wide Glides at least in distance between docking points on one side. Is it a perfect fit? Can that older rack get spread apart (or closed up?) enough to fit a 2005 bike without affecting the chrome finish or interfering with the fender? Which Docking Hardware works best?

Maybe this will help. Here are critical dimensions for p/n 53493-95 to help you figure it out:

1. distance o/c between front & rear docking points of one side: 10 & 3/8 inch
2. distance between left & right "plates": (inside) 9 & 13/16 inch ----- (outside), 10 inch
3. distance between left & right docking latches: 9 & 1/8 inch
4. distance from docking point center to underside of rack at top, for clearing "height of fender": 5 & 1/4 inch
5. distance between left & right rack upright bars: 9 inch
6. distance above docking point center that left & right rack uprights angle inward at approx. 30 degrees: 2 inch
7. distance between left & right uprights at underside of rack at top: 5 & 3/4 inch

Let us know how it works out. Does anybody out there have a Detachable Solo Rack on a 2002-2005 non-Wide Glide?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 AM
gerGmaI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I have new info.

I have a 2002 FXDL and wanted a quick release rack to use with my solo seat. Everything I read said there was not one made for the 2002 - 2005 Dyna.
I really don't like the one that bolts to the fender. so recently I bought a used older quick release solo rack, p/n 53493-95 on ebay. Fits 1996 - 2001 Dyna.

The length(front to rear) between mounting tabs was fine, but I had to stretch out the mounting tabs a little bit wider(side to side) and then straighten the mounting tabs just a little, and it FIT PERFECT! Just do the bends in small increments and take your time so as not to crack the chrome, and test fit often.(took me about 5 minutes!)

Hint:
To spread the mounting points wider I put it on the floor(on a towel) and stood on both ends of one side and just pulled up on the other two side ends.
Then I lined my vice jaws with wood so I didn't scratch the chrome when straightening the mounting tabs.

Hope this helps someone else.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
TommyDee
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg, Better late than never in more ways than one. Thanks for posting the updated info and photos. Been reading these forums for years and I wanted to respond to your post so I finally became a member today.

Have an 03 FXDXT and I knew HD made detachable solo racks for 96-01 Dyna models. Why they never made them for 02-05 Dyna models we'll never know. Just located one of the earlier racks and I'll be using your method to adjust the fitment. Should have it some time next week.

Now if I can only figure out how to add my two rides to my forum garage I'll be in better shape.

2000 FXR4
2003 FXDXT