Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Detach Solo Luggage Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:24 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Quick Detach Solo Luggage Rack

Does anyone know if HD or any aftermarket companies make a quick detach solo luggage rack that would use the same attach points that my current quick detach backrest/luggage uses? As of yet, I cannot find one.

I just got new paint and will be retiring the two-up seat for the solo and i want a rack so I can take a bag to the lake with me for my weekend overnighters. Surely someone makes one.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Obviously you haven't checked HD's website.

53511-06

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 04-11-2009, 02:38 PM
sonetpro
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search ebay. I have seen them cheap for an 05. The one linked won't fit yours.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:39 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmm...as a follow-up to this, I just noticed you have an '05...I don't know if that will fit your '05 or not...isn't there a difference in fender/strut width? I don't know what to tell you in that instance. I've never seen one that utilized HD's docking hardware except for that rack I posted. Your best bet for a detach rack is a Motherwell, but that bolts to the fender, and I don't think you want that with the new paint.

Probably what I'd recommend is to find a sissy bar setup w/rack that you like...that way you can use that for the occasional lake trip, and have it off for the majority of your riding.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:41 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sonetpro
Search ebay. I have seen them cheap for an 05. The one linked won't fit yours.
You've seen them that fits his docking hardware? I've never seen one like that apart from the one I posted.

This is the only other one I've seen, but it fits XL's...I doubt there's compatibility for pre-06 Dynas.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harley-Davidson-...QQcmdZViewItem
53494-04

Last edited by rockon; 04-11-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:48 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rockon
You've seen them that fits his docking hardware? I've never seen one like that apart from the one I posted.

This is the only other one I've seen, but it fits XL's...I doubt there's compatibility for pre-06 Dynas.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harley-Davidson-...QQcmdZViewItem
53494-04
The one in the link is pretty much what I am looking for but I don't know if that one would fit my bike.

I have seen a ton of options for the 06 and later bikes but nothing for mine so far. I definitely know I don't want one like the motherwell because I love being able to take it off in two seconds and I don't want it to touch the paint.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2NAHNTR
The one in the link is pretty much what I am looking for but I don't know if that one would fit my bike.

I have seen a ton of options for the 06 and later bikes but nothing for mine so far. I definitely know I don't want one like the motherwell because I love being able to take it off in two seconds and I don't want it to touch the paint.
Yeah, my bad on that one...you're the first person I've seen here with a pre-'06 asking about one to mount on the docking hardware. I think there's a difference in the widths of the fenders between '05 and '06, so I don't think it would work.

Could probably be made to work, but not out of the box.

I'm with ya as far as not wanting it on the paint. I like the one I showed you, but not the pricetag....that's the one thing pushing me to a Motherwell. Good luck in the search.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually, things that are not quick-detach, can be made into quick-detach by notching the holes with a Dremel.

I did this to a windshield I had on my Suzuki...by notching it, I only had to loosen the mounting bolts and not remove them completely.

If you wanted, I'm sure you could space the detachable hardware out a little to make it line up with the '06 rack.

Measure the outside of your struts and maybe someone here can do the same on the '06...my bike is not kept where I'm at or I'd get the measurement for you.

My guess would be about 1/2 inch on both sides which wouldn't be very noticeable if spaced out.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mascman
Usually, things that are not quick-detach, can be made into quick-detach by notching the holes with a Dremel.

I did this to a windshield I had on my Suzuki...by notching it, I only had to loosen the mounting bolts and not remove them completely.

If you wanted, I'm sure you could space the detachable hardware out a little to make it line up with the '06 rack.

Measure the outside of your struts and maybe someone here can do the same on the '06...my bike is not kept where I'm at or I'd get the measurement for you.

My guess would be about 1/2 inch on both sides which wouldn't be very noticeable if spaced out.

I know what you about being to modify things a bit to fit. I notched the mounts on my windshield to get it to lay back a little farther and it worked great. On this however, I am not so sure. I do not want to extend the mounting points on the bikes outward because the rear turn signals already stick out farther than I like. I don't know the exact dimenson differences between the 05 and the 06 but I think it is about an inch. If I modify anything, I would modify the rack. If I had to go to cutting and rewelding and rechroming a rack, it might become the most expensive rack on earth.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:26 AM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know you aren't looking at the motherwell, but if you get a fender bib, you can use thumb screws to mount dismount your bib & motherwell pretty quickly. Then take it all off and show off your new paint. If it is straight black the bib won't contrast and will help protect it from other things (backpacks etc.)

Quick Reply: Quick Detach Solo Luggage Rack