Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on removing and replacing triple trees needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:32 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rquest
I got a new set of 5 degree trees. I haven't even looked at the setup or taken the tank off yet but I was wondering in advance do I disconnect the connections in the headlight bucket, under the tank or where would make this job easier to feed through the slot in the top tree?
All connections are in the grommets in the neck of the frame. Carefully pull them out and you have everything you need.

The following users liked this post:
rquest (12-21-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 AM
kingmoochr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thoroughly secure the bike.....removing 100lbs from the front has a significant impact on balance point...

The following 2 users liked this post by kingmoochr:
rquest (12-21-2016), SixDD (12-22-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:23 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Thank you both themouth and kingmoochr, those are both very good tips!

Old 12-21-2016, 12:25 PM
rquest
Road Master

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
All connections are in the grommets in the neck of the frame. Carefully pull them out and you have everything you need.
I'm guessing I need to take the tank off... Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

You can usually do this without taking the tank off. If you need more room, try taking out the front bolts and propping it up as far as you can without messing up the crossover line.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Pulling the tank is a good idea you won't damage it and you will need the room to disassemble the wiring harness. There is a plastic trap door behind the steering head on the bottom of the square tube, that allows the wiring bundle to be pulled out and unplugged at that point. Remove the rubber you grommets from the "windows" the wiring passes through on the sides of the frame behind the steering head, at this point you can remove all the wiring painlessly without risk of damaging the harness by yanking on it. At reassembly reverse the process.
Remove the front wheel and pull the fork legs, trying to remove it as an assembly will increase the odds of something BAD happening, its not a good idea.
Buy, beg, borrow or steal a copy of the factory manual and read the applicable sections. You will need a torque wrench in the correct ranges, blue threadlocker and good quality grease. Set out your tools before you start taking things apart, and verify you have everything you need to complete the task before you remove the first fastener. If you follow these steps things should go well, if things come off the track, ask more questions, help is as near as your keyboard.

Photo showing wire harness pulled through trap door opening.
Name:  IMAG0053.jpg
Views: 3658
Size:  206.3 KB

: Mike

rquest (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 12:47 AM
kingmoochr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to save the effort of removing the calipers and axle, but still replace both triples, you can do so if you wish. Make sure you lay a blanket or soft pad down to lay the front end on once you unbolt the steering stem from the frame. Be prepared to support the entire assembly and remember it will pivot at the axle. Leave the lower triple on, but remove the torque from the bolts first so you aren't strugling with them off the bike.

All you're saving is not unbolting the calipers and the axle, so if you haven't done that in a while, you might just be better off doing a complete disassembly so you can clean, inspect, and re-lube everything.

rquest (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 01:42 AM
rquest
Road Master

Thanks again guys, I'm sure I won't have any problems, I just like to get everything right in my head before I start so i won't have any surprises.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:32 PM
610Low
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

I've got a new top tree coming in the mail soon. Glad to see this thread popped back up just at the right time as I've been thinking exactly this. what a terrible move by the moco using these integrated top trees. such junk.