Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on removing and replacing triple trees needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 PM
K9pusher
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips on removing and replacing triple trees needed

Conducted a search, there a few threads about this but nothing terribly helpful. I looked through my service manual and it seems pretty straight forward to do. Can some of ya'll that have done it before offer up any tips, tricks, etc to getting this done that maybe aren't covered in the service manual? Also looked over the procedures for doing the fall away test, any way to dumb that down for me would be appreciated as well. Changing out
'08 trees for '07's on a '08 Street Bob. Thanks for any feedback ahead of time.

Also, can the forks be removed with the wheel still attached as a unit? A buddy of mine suggested doing this as taking it apart completely may require an alignment...don't know, just saying....

Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Latest issue of American Iron has a pictorial articles addressing this issue.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:51 PM
K9pusher
Tourer

I just picked up that issue last night, haven't had a chance to look through it yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 PM
ratt196635
Road Master

all you really need to do is replace the top tree. that is real easy and probably wont even have to remove the forks. just take your bars and risers off loosen top pinch bolts and remove stem nut remove top tree and reinstall in reverse order.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 PM
FUQUA
Road Master

Originally Posted by ratt196635
all you really need to do is replace the top tree. that is real easy and probably wont even have to remove the forks. just take your bars and risers off loosen top pinch bolts and remove stem nut remove top tree and reinstall in reverse order.

Kinda sorta....but your wires for your hand controls should be run through the top tree....so to do it that way you would need to pull the rubber grommet out of the neck of the frame and pull the wires up,unplug the connectors and feed them through the tree.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 PM
damfino
Cruiser

Pretty straightforward. Wheel can come off with fork (which simplifies the process) but obviously the bike needs to be high enough in the air for the complete assembly to clear. Unbolt the bars with everything attached and lay over on tank (protected), remove headlight, and brake line from caliper and she pops right out!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:15 PM
K9pusher
Tourer

I had thought about just changing the top tree but there is a difference in the way the
'07 and '08 trees look. I'm not worried about the wiring as I have to disconnect it all anyway to put on new risers and bars. I may do this as I'm sure not too many folks would notice the difference in the top and bottom tree clamps.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Atomic Injector
Cruiser

When you loosen the pinch bolts and drop the sliders threw the bottom of the triple trees their will be nothing holding the sliders straight anymore. What I'm trying to say is that the top triple tree could be all the way to the left and the bottom one all the way to the right, do you smell what I'm steppin in? So be carefull when loosening the stem nut because it will cause the lower triple tree to move and hit your tank. The top triple tree has a stopper and you might not notice what the bottom one is doing.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:45 PM
K9pusher
Tourer

Good point, thanks for that tip. I'll be sure to cover the tank with something to avoid that mishap from occurring if I go the full R and R route.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:53 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FUQUA
your wires for your hand controls should be run through the top tree....,unplug the connectors and feed them through the tree.
I got a new set of 5 degree trees. I haven't even looked at the setup or taken the tank off yet but I was wondering in advance do I disconnect the connections in the headlight bucket, under the tank or where would make this job easier to feed through the slot in the top tree?

Quick Reply: Tips on removing and replacing triple trees needed