Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield angle change

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Kanzig
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield angle change

I saw some threads recently dealing with wind buffeting and Harley Quick detach windshields. I was dealing with the same issue so I wanted to post what my fix for it is.

The windshield I have is 58347-06 Quick Release Detachable compact windshield standard height. I don't use a windshield all the time and when I do, I want to be looking over it. The problem with this one is it seems fine if I put it in the highest position on the forks but then I'm looking through it. If I put it in the lowest position, I'm able to barely look over it but I get some pretty bad wind buffeting over 50 mph.

I got this idea from member OsoFat since he altered the angle of his windshield in this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...y-bux-114.html

I did something similar to him except I decided to push the bottom mount points outwards rather than drill holes to bring the top mount holes inwards.

The adjustment looks pretty minor but the overall change is more than I expected. First off, with this change you will no longer be able to look through the windshield unless you are short. I lost more height on the shield than I expected, which is a good thing for me. Even in the highest position I can still look over the windshield now. With the new aerodynamic angle of the windshield, the wind buffeting is now reduced to almost nothing. I am quite pleased with this modification and my wind buffeting problems are resolved.

The pictures below show the altered windshield. Notice the two bolts at the bottom of the windshield and how there are 2 bolts there. The key was the S-hook I found at the hardware store. This S-hook is bolted to the bracket in the original position and then the fork mount clamp is bolted to the portion of the S-hook extending out. Make sure you put a washer between the nut and the S-hook since if the nut is tightened down hard enough it could force the S-hook opening to open up.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield angle change-windshield1_s1.jpg   Windshield angle change-windshield2_s2.jpg   Windshield angle change-windshield3_s3.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM
thezoeman
Cruiser

Good Idea man, glad that worked for you.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:13 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice KANZIG, did it improve handling on the highway? I don't like the shield at highway speeds as it tosses the front end around too much and was wondering if this helped at all.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:32 AM
YourOldDog
Cruiser

Wouldn't it be nice if someone, say Harley Davidson, would run some wind tunnel test so we could fix this problem once and for all? You'd think if they ever took a lawsuit on "double vision" using their products then they might get interested in the problem. Double vision is for real. On my 07 StreetBob and $450 Harley windshield I get it at normal highway speed of 60mph. I tried the between the fork airdam but that did absolutly nothing. I just bought a Harley crash bar so I can mount some butt ugly wind deflectors on it so I can see to enjoy my ride.

I'll try your fix Kanzig and see if that makes any difference. Rather then the S-hook, think I'll buy some aluminum flatstock at the hardware and hack saw it and drill it. This will allow me to make up several pair with different bolt hole distances to see what works best. Yours looks to be about 1" center to center of each bolt.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to offend you or anything, but I never understood how tilting the windshield back will help. I can see how it can help with buffeting because it directs the air to hit you in the face full on with consistancy instead of the very top on your helmet which gives you the buffeting. Looking over it with the shield tilted back, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a windshield? IMO that just brings more direct air to your head. May cut down the wiggly eyes, but then I think you would have to worry about a sore neck. Plus the bugs and road crap. I rode for the first time in a year yesterday without the shield or my roll bag on the handlebars and damn did my neck hurt and bug splats galore. No buffeting of course but the wind catching that half she after 50 miles I started to notice my neck getting sore. I tilted my shield forward and practically no buffeting. I'm going to get a windshield bag for the gap above the headlight. No buffeting from that area, but I can feel the wind some though.

Last edited by JaronB; 07-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Yeah, there is no one thing that fixes the buffeting. What buffeting I have left, is completely tolerable:
I've changed the angle of my windshield.
Installed the fork air dam.
Increased the size of the headlight/tightened the tolerance of the windshield around the light.

All those things together brought a pretty enjoyable ride.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:44 AM
sigmoid
Cruiser

The wind tunnel test is a good idea, maybe some accessory maker will try that one day. I've fiddled and fiddled with my windshield, tilted it forward and back, up and down, nothing will completely cure the turbulence. I rode a Road King with windshield in April about 400 miles and it was the same thing, it seems the disturbed air comes up from the front sides of the gas tank to me, probably accelerated as it goes around the sides and bottom of the windshield. I've decided I just need to choose where I want the rough air to hit me. Still beats the rocks in the face at freeway speeds.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,094 Likes on 1,635 Posts

My windshield is set up similar to JaronB's method of tilting or pushing the top of the shield forward a bit. It has minimized most of the buffeting.

The shield has been off the bike for a couple of months now with the 98-100+ temps I prefer to have the wind.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
YourOldDog
Cruiser

Well I tried this mod and it didn't work for me. Instead of going through all the trouble of making a S hook, I just removed the bottom bolts, tilted the top back towards the rider position and took if for a cruise. This left the holes in the bottom mount about 1" apart which appears to be what the original poster had in his S hook.

I did move my buffetting wind around but it's still there. So, I put it all back together and will now have to agonize over making and mounting some deflectors for my crash bars. That seems to be the only fix that most say works for sure.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:55 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by YourOldDog
Well I tried this mod and it didn't work for me. Instead of going through all the trouble of making a S hook, I just removed the bottom bolts, tilted the top back towards the rider position and took if for a cruise. This left the holes in the bottom mount about 1" apart which appears to be what the original poster had in his S hook.

I did move my buffetting wind around but it's still there. So, I put it all back together and will now have to agonize over making and mounting some deflectors for my crash bars. That seems to be the only fix that most say works for sure.

Have you tried tilting it forward like I mentioned above. A couple of us have done that and most of our buffeting is gone. What's left is definitely tolerable.

Quick Reply: Windshield angle change