Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Hazard

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Wooglint
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Hazard

I live in north Idaho. Too much further north and I’d be in danger of the Canadian heath care system and 50% income tax (we may be headed here soon). Well, I’m riding home last night and the last part of my ride I have about a mile on a gravel road. About halfway up this road I come around a corner and there is the biggest cow moose I have ever seen with her calf.

For those of you who don’t know, moose are big, dumb and highly aggressive when in the rut or when a cow is protecting her baby. These stupid things are known to charge trucks and even trains. So, I stop and wait to see what she is going to do. Normally in my truck they tend to turn and head the other way.

Well, not last night. The freaking thing decides to charge me. Since she is coming up the road at me that eliminates that exit for me. There are fenced fields on each side of the road so that eliminates that exit (besides offroading on a Fat Bob probably isn’t smart). So, I put my left foot down and rip a 180 turn on a narrow gravel road that was more appropriate for my dirt bike days. I had visions of both the bike and I going down and both of us getting trampled.

Let’s just say I didn’t know the bike or I had it in us, but we made it and gunned the throttle. I proceeded to fly down the road gradually watching the moose fade in the mirror. Finally the damn thing gave up.

I did the only sensible thing and rode back into town for a beer.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen videos of moose charging humans and non living objects... Thats an animal i dont want to mess with.

Saw a hunting show where a dude was stalking a moose with a bow. He shot it at about 10 yards and it chased him a good 20 or 30 yards and the dude ends up trying to climb an evergreen to get away.

Glad you got away unharmed, i can only imagine what a moose could do to a bike!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 AM
ozzy2800
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar thing happend to me and my buddies while snowmobiling in northern NH. It is a cool thing to see, but a bit concerning as well. Least you and the bike survived!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Good story.....glad to hear you and the ride are fine.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, that sucks man. I live in Canada myself, and I've never seen a moose! hope I never do.

btw, or health care system is great = free. However, our taxes do suck.