Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trap Door Leak and stripped bolt holes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Peso Joe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trap Door Leak and stripped bolt holes

I have a double problem both being caused by the same issue.

Stripped threads on the bottom three boltholes in the trap door area. Easy fix I know how to accomplish that part. Plan to use Helicoils by drilling a letter "H" hole, setting the coil and using the same spec bolts as original. The problem is ACCESS to the offending unit holes.

These got stripped by over tightening the bolts that hold on the Exhaust mount. (T-header) I used good old German torque and now their stripped. (For those not familiar, German Torque is...Gudden Tite!

here is my question.

Is it possible to remove the right side Trap door with out going into the LEFT side and removing what looks to be the Transmission guts?

If so, PLEASE provide basic details of how to accomplish this.

NOTE: As ref it is Page 34 item 26 in the Parts Catalog from MOCO. Actual damage is on bottom right side of transmission housing listed on page 36 item 22.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain

Uhg! Sorry to hear that Joe. I had a similar problem. The bottom left hole that holds the exhaust bracket and is one of the trap door bolts was completely stripped when I went to put on my Fat Cat.

Unfortunately the only way to fix it was to take the whole left side of the bike apart so you can pull the pulley to allow the tranny shaft/guts to come out. Then you can access the stripped bolt holes. Too big for me to tackle so I had to have the dealer do it and they billed me for 2.5 hours of labor plus gaskets/bolts. They drilled out stripped hole, sleeved it and tapped new threads.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:59 PM
lv hog rider
Stage III

Similar just happen to me, only the dealer left the bolts off and I started leaking like a sieve after 150 miles. Was there any damage to you transmission? Dealer told me the transmission was fine, but they are also the ones who left the bolts off.