Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front AND BACK tank lift Pics - 07 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:42 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, now that I see your pics I'm gonna do the same. Just wondered how it would look after. thanks for the post...

Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
So what keeps the tank from sliding forward? With both raised the two bracket work like a pivot. But it does look good.
I've run a 3" tank lift for almost 2yrs now. I just recently cut it down to 2" because I couldn't stand the long crossover line. My point is, even at 3" I have never had my tank move. So I don't see how raising both ends would cause any more chance of the tank pivoting if it's tightened properly.

I'm not saying it isn't possible especially with the vibrations between engine and road conditions. I do randomly check at least my front mounts for tightness. I don't use lok-tite on them and honestly never had one come loose even on my back country, god awful roads in my area.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 05-13-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I've run a 3" tank lift for almost 2yrs now. I just recently cut it down to 2" because I couldn't stand the long crossover line. My point is, even at 3" I have never had my tank move. So I don't see how raising both ends would cause any more chance of the tank pivoting if it's tightened properly.

I'm not saying it isn't possible especially with the vibrations between engine and road conditions. I do randomly check at least my front mounts for tightness. I don't use lok-tite on them and honestly never had one come loose even on my back country, god awful roads in my area.
But was was rear bolt mounted to a pivot to lift it up? Or was it mounted to the original mount? I have the 2" lift, not show in the sig pic really need to update it, and mine has not moved either. But it is using the original solid rear mount. Things do loosen up on these bikes after awhile... Wouldn't want my tank to slide forward and get hit by the triple tree.

Last edited by Airborne350G; 05-13-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

But was was rear bolt mounted to a pivot to lift it up? Or was it mounted to the original mount? I have the 2" lift, not show in the sig pic really need to update it, and mine has not moved either. But it is using the original solid rear mount. Things do loosen up on these bikes after awhile... Wouldn't want my tank to slide forward and get hit by the triple tree.
Original mount but in my case with the 3", I had to ream out the rear holes on the tank so I could move the tank back quite a bit so I didn't hit it with the trees at full lock. The hole is about 1/2" long now so there is plenty of room for movement. Again, although possible I wouldn't think it would become a huge issue.

If it does become an issue for the OP, I'm sure he's capable of removing the rear lift.

Pic shows where I started to drill, between OEM mount and the tank.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow! I really like that.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
addkrod
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work !!! I like that look..

Old 05-13-2010, 04:31 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, sort of a symmetry about it.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks really cool. Didn't think I'd like it...but looks really cool!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:45 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

So what keeps the tank from sliding forward? With both raised the two bracket work like a pivot. But it does look good.
I kind of thought the same thing ... the risk is there if you're in a hurry to put your bike back together after futzing with something and you don't torque down the tank really well ...

A solution might be to weld a piece of flat stock or a narrow bar that would fit between the rear of the tank and the frame and hold the right and left sides of the lift together ... that would prevent it from rolling forward toward the front of the bike and make the rear lift a little more solid/stable ....

Not a bad look ... kind of gives it a little of that 'Frisco' look while retaining the original tank ....

As an aside, I'd think it would mitigate or offset any deviation of your fuel gauge's accuracy caused from a front tank lift ... as it tends to have a leveling effect on the tank (as opposed to only using a lift in the front) ....

R/
'Chop

Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM
HeLtErSKeLtER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The maker for my front tank lift uses billet aluminum. They machine a bevel into the part that acts as a keeper for the tank. No forward movement is possible, as long as the bolts don't fall out. Check out mtmcustomz at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...Q5fAccessories

The whole pivoting forward problem isn't an issue at all with that part. You could make a keeper with a welder that would do the same thing for a lot less $ tho. I like the front kit because it is a one piece, unwelded, powdercoated assembly that matches the harley frame.

HelterS

Quick Reply: Front AND BACK tank lift Pics - 07 Street Bob