Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light/ Regulator test

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Check engine light/ Regulator test

Scenerio, 07 street bob. Ignition on check engine light doe its thing A few seconds after it goes out it comes back on for a few seconds then goes out and stays out. Go down the road and the light comes back on. Stop, shut it down turn it back on same thing. Continues so since we have to get home dennis ignores the light. Battery light comes on We stop. no start battery id dead. Jump the bike and get home. Only dtc is low battery voltage. Charged battery checks out good. I suspect voltage regulator, only problem is that HD manual does not tell you how to static test the VR on an 07. Says you need the electrical manual. My 99 sporty did the same thing, (minus the computer chit since it doesn't have lights like that). That manual tells you how to staic test the regulator. Anyone know how to test it on the newer models. And yes we have checked and cleaned all battery cable connections. At this time the battery is charged and reinstalled. Ignition on you get the check engine light. Goes out and doesn't come back on. Start the bike, all is good. Somehow it might be cured but we would all fell better if we coud check the vr. Might be that the check engine light comes on before the system records low battery voltage condition. Any thoughts would be appreciated as well as steps to static test the VR Thanks

Old 07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

run a diagnostic on the bike and it will tell you what is wrong

Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having that problem and replaced the voltage regulator and problem came back pulled the plugs on both sides took some pliers and squeezed the conections closed some put dielect grease on them plugged them back in have not had that problem for more than 6 months now

Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Using a multimeter you could also check for voltage to the battery while bike is running, 14.2v typical.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:00 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 08.
Got the Electrical Manual out, turned to the Charging System section.
The paragraph titled: Wiring says...

"The stator & battery connector plugs & socket connections must be clean & tight. See Figure 1-12. Check for corroded or loose connections in the charging system."

The next paragraph, titled: Voltage Regulator Inspection says...

"The VR must have a clean, tight connection for proper grounding. Check by using an ohmmeter with one lead on a known good ground, like the negative battery cable, and the other on the regulator ground lead."

So... while the battery was on the trickle charger, I started checking out the wiring.
Figure 1-12 shows the circuit running through the 40 amp MAXIFUSE. It was good, so I moved on checking the connections.
I was checking the continuity using a volt meter between the battery side of the VR plug & each battery cable. I kept getting sporadic readings so I got a small round file to clean the inside of the terminal ends. This is what I found:

Name:  DSCN4596.jpg
Views: 1861
Size:  46.4 KB

I replaced the terminal connectors, reinstalled the battery & it was up & running.

The rest of the Charging System section involves testing the entire system as a whole.
The voltage regulator... "is a series regulator. It combines the functions of rectifying (changing AC to DC) and regulating."
The paragraph titled: Current and Voltage Output Test: Using Load Tester says...

“1. Connect load tester... -/+ to battery... induction pickup over the positive regulator lead.
2. Run engine at 3000rpm. Increase the load as required to obtain a constant 13v DC.
3. Current output should be 35-40 amps.
4. After removing the load read the Load Tester voltage meter.
4.a. If voltage to the battery is not more than 15v DC, voltage output is within specifications... bla, bla, bla.
4.b. If voltage is higher, voltage regulator is not functioning (regulating) properly.”

Old 07-08-2010, 07:10 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JRK5892
run a diagnostic on the bike and it will tell you what is wrong
did that low battery only code something caused that which is why I asked about the static test on the regulator

Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

TY 08 I copied it and sent to my friend I will probably get over there later today

Old 01-22-2020, 08:34 PM
are6rider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reviving this 10 yeaor old post...

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
Attachment 560659

I replaced the terminal connectors, reinstalled the battery & it was up & running.”
I JUST had this EXACT same issue on my 2014 Dyna FXDB, same style connector. easy enough fix, problem is..I can't find these connectors ANYWHERE online. I really just need those 2 crimp terminals and stuff them back into the rubber boot that just slides off. I'd love to convert this to something like a Deutsh, but the end on the regulator itself isn't a wire/connector, it's a straight socket into the regulator body...so I need to have this same style...

Anybody know where I can find those crimp terminals? Thanks...

Old 01-22-2020, 08:34 PM
are6rider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reviving this 10 yeaor old post...

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
I had a similar problem on my 08.

Attachment 560659

I replaced the terminal connectors, reinstalled the battery & it was up & running.”
I JUST had this EXACT same issue on my 2014 Dyna FXDB, same style connector. easy enough fix, problem is..I can't find these connectors ANYWHERE online. I really just need those 2 crimp terminals and stuff them back into the rubber boot that just slides off. I'd love to convert this to something like a Deutsh, but the end on the regulator itself isn't a wire/connector, it's a straight socket into the regulator body...so I need to have this same style...

Anybody know where I can find those crimp terminals? Thanks...

Quick Reply: Check engine light/ Regulator test