Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Codes

Old 09-24-2010, 06:41 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Paint Codes

I'm having some custom work done on my SG & the paint shop that does all the dealers work has f---ed up, instead of Black Ice Pearl they have painted the fender in Black Pearl ! Now they are saying they won't correct it so it is upto the dealer to find another painter, I have recommended a guy that has done other work for me, problem is the paint code the dealer has quoted, his paint supplier says this is not the right code ! Does anyone know what the paint code is for Black Ice Pearl ? Can't believe HD cannot give this info, probably due to the dealer saying HD charge £160 per quart for supplying the paint !!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow...what an a$$hole shop. They screwed up then won't fix it?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,852 Likes on 21,296 Posts

Bullshit!! They F-ed up, and say they won't correct it?
You'd better talk to the dealer and have them intervene for you if they are being ******.
Seems like we're missing part of the story here...?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 AM
paullavery
Road Master

Makes no sense to me, the paint shop had the rear fender for over 3 weeks & when it came back it was the wrong colour !

Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
paullavery
Road Master

From what I can work out it seems like the dealer have tried to get them to re-do it but for some reason they have said no ! Crazy !!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me like the dealer supplied the shop with the wrong paint code. If that is so, then it's not the painter's fault.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:58 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i agree i would be willing to bet that it was the dealer at fault not the paint shop, may want to call and speak to the painter to find out what is going on

Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Bugger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having trouble finding the paint code for "Black Ice Pearl". Harley Davidson paint codes can be found here: http://www.colorrite.com/ Click on motorcycle paint then follow the path by entering the year, Harley Davidson, then model name such as FXD Dyna Glide Super Glide.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't believe HD cannot give this info, probably due to the dealer saying HD charge £160 per quart for supplying the paint !!

I knew a guy one time that had a 'Mystic Cobra'. Think they only did it for one year -- 1996. He crashed it but not all that bad.

The paint shop had to call DuPont and a man flew down from DuPont (or was it BASF? Not sure) headquarters with a quart of the paint (at $1,200 a qt), watched as the painter mixed the paint, went into the spray booth with him, watched as he applied the paint, took the paint out of his sprayer and put it back in the origanal can, watched as he cleaned his spray gun and flew back to DuPont HQ with the remainder of the paint.

They can get kinda pricky with their paint. All of them.

Last edited by Grendel4; 09-24-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 AM
paullavery
Road Master

Well it turns out after I spoke to Warrs HD in London to see if they could help me out, they put me onto a company called 8 Ball Custom Paintwork who are approved by HD, spoke to a really nice guy there and soon ever i told him the colour was Black Ice Pearl, it all seemed to make sense, apparently HD US outsourced the painting of all their tinware on new bikes in Black Ice Pearl, the company that did the paint will not give over the paint codes, even to HD ! The guy at 8 Ball said they have tried to copy this paint & cannot get anything they come up with to look anything like the original, which kind of makes me wonder who is at fault ?

Turns out the company that did the original paint will sell it at £165 a quart, so looks like my only option now is to get the dealer to order it from the states, and I will have to wait probably 2-3 weeks to get my bike finished

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Codes