Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good tool set-up???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:00 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Craftsman are great for the home-type mechanic. Easy to get, easy to replace if needed, reasonable price, miles above the Harbor Freight and similar tools in quality.

Many Craftsman tools are good enough for even the professional.

If money were no object, Snap-On is the absolute best in MOST cases, but they can cost as much or more for a single wrench as a full set of Craftsman's.

For the application you've stated in the original post, I'd recommend Craftsman.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by leanhog
I got a set of Craftsman vise grips for Christmas. They are good, except for the large CHINA stamp on them.
there's some dude on a craftsman forum bitching about the china parts on his harley right now

Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 PM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the price and warranty Craftsman is the only way to go IMO. I started w a good ball bearing bottom box and a $300 set of tools 20 yrs ago and have since gathered quite a collection. The box has been rock solid, just added on to it once again over Xmas. I've taken screwdrivers used as prybars and sockets used to drive bearings and u-joints back on several occasions only to have them replaced with a brand new shiny tool.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I already had a ton of tools but over thanksgiving sears had a 255 piece Mechanics set for $159 and comes with it's own box.

A set like that would be a great start.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Don't forget to buy some metric wrenches as well and the torx T27 bit....

***dyna models metric sizes database***

How to prevent TORX screws being stripped

and

I started w a good ball bearing bottom box ...
I've had the standard, the quiet glide, and the ball bearing boxes. Knowing what I know now and having had the chance to use all of them, I'd definitely get the ball bearing version - even if that meant only getting the bottom box instead of a whole set. WELL worth it - every time I open a drawer, I breathe a sigh of satisfaction at having changed over to ball bearings.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Mk1Racer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a set of these. You'll be glad you did.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

mk1racer what do you like those for exactly? They look cool but can't I use a regular socket wrench or are these better for getting in tight places (that might be your point)?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
trekez2
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by mongoose
Good advice from WGB. I've had Craftsman stuff for 40+ years, still good.
And I get a nice feeling when I return a screwdriver that's obviously been used as a pry-bar, chisel, whatever, and they give me a new one, no questions asked.

Since I don't use tools professionally, they more than suffice, and I can't justify spending 4, 5 or 10X more for the Pro-quality stuff (Snap-on, Matco, Proto, etc)

Maybe for a few specialty items.
Dito on the Craftsmen tools. I have tools going back 50 years, still good as ever or I get them replaced.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
xkvator
Tourer

I agree with Craftsman...except for their TORX...i like Kobalt better...

i still have some of the originals i bought 45 years ago...and they've been well used...

ive bought a couple sets in the plastic cases that others have shown...i think they were around 150 piece...and all 6-POINT...for around $100 on sale

dont get a set with all 12-point...JMO

i like the Craftsman Professional wrenches

add a set of impact sockets, even if you dont have a impact gun...when you put a length of pipe on a breaker bar to loosen a stubborn bolt, you'll probly break a regular socket...not the impact type

i like Armstrong wratcheting box wrenches better than GearWrench...
better to break loose with the regular box end...not the wratcheting end...the open end is worthless, IMO...you probly already have a combination set if you need the open end...

Attached Thumbnails Need a good tool set-up???-armstrong.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

do not mess around. Go to the tool store and look at everything they have. Hope you can live long enough to get everyone of them. Once you have everything you need it will be time to die. I have 2 top and bottom 42", a third 42" Craftsman with a side box for a rolling work bench, a 46" X 26" X 6"-0" Lista draw storage cabinet, small rolling mobile tool 5 draw service cart, a few steel wall mounted storage lockers, and a three (top box, mid, and roller) 26" rolling cabinet. Add a steel plate rolling work 48" X 36" X 42" High bench with a few different vices along with machinery.

Trust me, it will suck you in! You start of with one than there is always something more to buy. I also left out your 120 gal air compressor than more air tools. No matter how old you get you will always want more tools for that next job.

I, for one, like skilled craftsman so try and learn everything you can than attempt the job. Read, read, read than do. Do the job correctly and do not sacrifice the job because there is a hack job easy way to do something in place of the correct way. Buy measuring tools because you will need them......and than you die!

Last edited by FastHarley; 01-05-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Need a good tool set-up???