Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup starter button

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Street Bob
Isn't that what friends are for - a good push start down a hill and then pop the clutch???? LOL.
Yup, that would work if they are available. First time it happened to me I had parked at the top of a boat ramp after dark with nobody around for miles and the person with me was my 98 lb passenger. Kinda pinches you up rolling toward the lake knowing you only have one shot at it. Ordered the button the next day.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Try this one. Part# is 70-330 I put one on a friend's Big Dog with a big S&S that he had been having a cranking problem with. It helped, but he finally went with a Big Boar battery. After that experience, I will push start before ever doing business with them again
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort
Thanks, Lakerat!

Your link still didn't work, but you gave me enough info to find it at Jireh. Yep, just $10, best buy I've seen for a Harley.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 AM
CM22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to this post I just ordered that same button for $13 (including shipping) off of ebay. That will be one less problem to worry about...

Old 01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So these solenoid cover starter buttons can be used as the primary means instead of the bar mounted starter switch?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Absolutely. Actually should deliver more juice directly to the starter since your bypassing the rest of the circuit and starter relay to the handlebar switch. At least that's what the tech at Terry Components said.

Just bought one from them even though the price was a lot high than some of the others, and for all I know may be no better. I was impressed however with the construction and materials used, and it looked like a good quality product. Billet aluminum, triple show chrome, and perhaps most importantly, good quality rubber gaskets on the housing and the switch to keep out moisture.

Originally Posted by rockon
So these solenoid cover starter buttons can be used as the primary means instead of the bar mounted starter switch?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had one of the cheapo ones on my RKC for years. Power is always to it. You can push the button and crank the motor regardless of where the ignition is turned. No big deal just so some joker doesn't push it while your bike is in gear. One thing to be concerned with is that the button is a good place for water to get in. I usually put a balloon over the button when I'm washing the bike and spraying that area with a hose.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
I have never had a starter button fail on any of my bikes. Starters yes, starter buttons no...Looks cool but I wouldn't waste my money on it....

I was thinking of getting one while I order my other back up parts.
The back up clutch lever, back up kickstand, etc.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I'm getting a back up Dyna

Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One was given to me so I put it on! I've never "had" to use it, but a good thing to have IMO! It's come in handy to spin the motor over while being on the lift on certain occasions aswell!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty funny, but I could have used a back up clutch cable when I snapped it last year, and a kickstand spring for my buddy when he decided to jump a curb and trashed his.

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

Quick Reply: Backup starter button